Menu

I think some of our mail was stolen

Jean in Newcastle

:0(

Happened to us a few weeks ago. The neighbors and we all have locking mailboxes now...but what a pain to have to track back on the stolen stuff.:::scowl:::

Report it immediately if you think it is a possibility. Really. We had this happen to us when we were moving, and it was only because we had a copy of both a police report (which is pretty pointless other than to have it on file unless the person is caught!) and the PO report that we were able to get the original check (cashed) written off by the bank and a new check issued. We were told that without those it is possible to open an enquiry but the process is longer:(

Also...one electricity bill was also stolen. Usually we have all our bills on direct pay but because of the move had temporary stopped that. The electric company waived the late fee when we could show that we had reported the issue.

ETA: one other thing the CC company told us. If you report when you think mail has been tampered with and there later becomes an issue of identity theft, they have an immediate record and a starting point.

Just talked to my neighbor who was taking in my mail while I was gone during my dad's death etc.  She reminded me that one of these bills would have come way back in June. . .   (It's a quarterly bill).  So now I'm not sure what to think.  Because the other bill was certainly more recent.  But I've been super scattered initially due to concerns about my dad and then later because of his death plus trying to get ready for camp etc. etc. etc.  So maybe no mail theft and just a brain theft.  

So maybe no mail theft and just a brain theft.  

This happened to me several years ago when I renewed my drivers license online and then forgot I did it so went into the DMV.  They insisted that it was already renewed and I should receive it in the mail.  I argued. They said my dh must have done it for me.  I laughed.  Then I went home and looked in my checkbook, and there was a recording of the fee to the DMV.

I was afraid someone had stolen my identity, and it turns out it was me who stole my own identity only I was too scattered to remember doing it.  (rolls eyes)