Menu

Getting a drivers license in Georgia

Night Elf

Ds18 got his learner's permit a month before he turned 18. Yesterday, his psych doctor said he could get his license now, that at age 18 and above, one doesn't need to hold a permit for a year like minors do. I can't find this information anywhere. Do you know? It seems that anyone at any age should hold a learners permit for a while at least before getting a full license. She made it sound like it's not needed at all.

http://www.dmv.org/ga-georgia/apply-license.php (scroll down)...

If you are at least 18 years old, you do not need to hold a learner’s permit before applying for your full Georgia driver’s license, unless you want to practice driving before your driving test. See our Driver’s Permits in Georgia page for more information.

I think that is right.  My DSS had a learner's permit but let it expire.  We also did not keep up with driving hours or driver's ed or anything like that.  But when he turned 18, he was able to go and take the driving test and get his license with no problem.  I couldn't find anything that spells it out exactly online for you, but everything I did find made very clear distinctions between drivers who are 16 or 17 and drivers who are 18 and older.  Here is a link to the driver's manual page with some info, and here is a link to the GA Driver's Services website.  HTH!