Menu

classical astronomy with primary grades?

lorisuewho

I'm all set to go on the school year. We are doing Greek Myths and I am set to combine it with Classical Astronomy. But now that we are about to begin, I'm getting nervous that CA might be too challenging for second and third grade. I'll be reading it aloud and I was planning to do some of the field experiments.

Has anyone used this text with the younger crowd? How did it go?

Which text exactly?  Signs and Seasons, or the MP Book of Astronomy?  I'm currently using Signs and Seasons with all my kids as a read-aloud.  We covered BFSU 1 previously so they already had some idea of the concepts.  There's a lot in Signs and Seasons that is way over their heads, but the illustrations are good and they do pick up quite a bit.  I have to learn it myself so that I can talk about the concepts when we go out into the "real world" and look at the sky together.  I have found it very valuable and fun.  I plan on repeating it in a few years (I have some younger kids coming up the pipeline).  The MP Book of Astronomy is a great overview of the constellations and stars, and the workbook activities are great -- they get to draw the constellations and copy the lists of stars.  So all that to say, that yes, Signs and Seasons is challenging for second and third grade (more like jr. high level), but we still get a lot out of it to make it worth it for us.  Since I know we'll do it again, I don't mind if they miss stuff.  But your situation may be different.

I have both here to do with my kids this year, but they are 6th and 12th. I'm going to be adding in things for my dd. I think if you read it aloud and do the fun things, it will probably be fine. The nice thing about the MP book is that it pairs so much of it with D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths, which would fit in perfectly with your Greek Myths study. If you have questions about it, I'd be glad to try and answer them for you. I found it difficult to line the two up nicely, so I'm just going to be doing them concurrently and not worry about repeat or overlap. 

I have both here to do with my kids this year, but they are 6th and 12th. I'm going to be adding in things for my dd. I think if you read it aloud and do the fun things, it will probably be fine. The nice thing about the MP book is that it pairs so much of it with D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths, which would fit in perfectly with your Greek Myths study. If you have questions about it, I'd be glad to try and answer them for you. I found it difficult to line the two up nicely, so I'm just going to be doing them concurrently and not worry about repeat or overlap.

Thank you for your time. I appreciate your opinion.

If you have a moment (and I know as a mom moments are hard to come by), could you glance at the sample of Astronomy on the Memoria Press website and tell me if the sample is representative in your opinion of the book. It seems from the sample that it is mostly drawing the constellations, but perhaps that is not the case.

I think the sample does represent a typical lesson, reading about something and doing some drawing. What it doesn't show you is the reason for the exercise with the lists. Throughout the book and at the ends of the chapters there are lists to memorize and questions to answer reviewing key facts.  There are tests and a final to cover it all. I like the focus on how the sky changes with each season. Also, you learn the constellations a little at a time and add to it. Notice the white boxes on the right. Those are the only ones filled in during that lesson. There is some summarizing of stories as well as a little copywork and memorization. 

I think the sample does represent a typical lesson, reading about something and doing some drawing. What it doesn't show you is the reason for the exercise with the lists. Throughout the book and at the ends of the chapters there are lists to memorize and questions to answer reviewing key facts.  There are tests and a final to cover it all. I like the focus on how the sky changes with each season. Also, you learn the constellations a little at a time and add to it. Notice the white boxes on the right. Those are the only ones filled in during that lesson. There is some summarizing of stories as well as a little copywork and memorization.

Thank you. This description is helpful. I really need to think on if I want to change courses or not. I really want to focus on taking time to look at the sky and how the sky changes with each season.