Menu

MCT grammar or Hake 7-could someone look??

Hi,

I am having the most difficult time deciding on grammar for my 12 year old (and also 15 year old).  Last year we started out with Analytical Grammar but stopped about 1/2 through the 1 season because the diagramming was not going well.  They could label everything very well.  My 15 year old daughter did the same thing-=did great with labeiing but the diagramming just didn't make sense to them.  My 17 year old did A.G. and scored almost perfect on the ACT in language sections so I know it is good.  But.....it doesn;t make sense to them.  We finished the year with MCT Grammar Island and finished the book and about 10 pages of the practice.

So this year.... my choices are to go back the Analytical Grammar and  try again.  Try Hake grade 7, which I don't think they will like AT ALL.  But I know it is good.  Or to move on with MCT and do the Voyage Level. ( For my 15 I am thinking of Killgallon Grammar for High School and then the Season 3 in Analytical Grammar.)  I just need some wise counsel about the 12 year olds. 

Any thoughts?  Does anyone know how MCT does in terms of testing?  Like how are kids testing for SAT?ACT

Thanks for ANY thoughts.

pam

I'd go with MCT Town level. We didn't care for Voyage. You'll get the same info in Town, but it's more interesting and fun.

Hake is ok. It's dry. It's git er done. I am actually using it now in between moving onto MCT Town. We are burnt out with FLL (did 1, 2, 3, and parts of 4).

Which level of Hake would you jump into after MCT Town?

I am still deciding on grammar. :(