Menu

Introduction to World Religions...

We will be studying world religions this fall, and I also want to approach it from a biblical/Christian perspective as well.

These are the books I have planned:

But Don't All Religions Lead to God?

http://www.christianbook.com/religions-lead-navigating-multi-faith-maze/michael-green/9780801064395/pd/64392 

World Religions: An Indispensable Introduction

http://www.christianbook.com/world-religions-an-indispensable-introduction/gerald-mcdermott/9781418545970/pd/545971?product_redirect=1&Ntt=545971&item_code=&Ntk=keywords&event=ESRCP 

Christianity and World Religions

http://www.christianbook.com/christianity-religions-introduction-worlds-major-faiths/derek-cooper/9781596384460/pd/384460?product_redirect=1&Ntt=384460&item_code=&Ntk=keywords&event=ESRCP

So What's the Difference?

http://www.christianbook.com/whats-the-difference-updated-and-exp/fritz-ridenour/9780764215643/pd/215641?product_redirect=1&Ntt=215641&item_code=&Ntk=keywords&event=ESRCP

And these as additional references: (I already have these.)

World Religions from Ancient to Present

World Religions (DK) 

The first title, But Don't All Religions Lead to God? is a definite... so I am trying to decide which of the other three will be of the most value and use for my goals... giving good insight to other religions as well as how to approach and share with others. If you have used any of the above books, would you care to share and give some feedback... Were they clear, concise, with good explanations as well as offering insights as to how to understand and approach others of various faiths and religions?

Perhaps some guidance on prostheletizing, but more so for the overall understanding of other world religions, and communicating with them etc., understanding different points of view.

So yes, a mix of Christian and non-Christian / unbiased views would be necessary in order to gain perspective.

This might be old news, but DSST (similar to CLEP) offers a test for World Religions:

http://getcollegecredit.com/assets/pdf/dsst_fact_sheets/DSST_IntroductiontoWorldReligions.pdf

They suggest the following for test prep materials:

1. A History of the World’s Religions, 12th Edition, 
2008, David S. Noss, Prentice Hall/Pearson 
Education, One Lake Street, Upper Saddle River, 
NJ 07458, vig.prenhall.com.

2. Religions of the World, Tenth Edition, 2007, 
Lewis Hopfe and Mark Woodward, Prentice 
Hall/Pearson Education, One Lake Street, Upper 
Saddle River, NJ 07458, vig.prenhall.com.

We did a somewhat similar study when DSs were grades 7/8 -- World Cultures/Geography and comparative religions. :)

We will be studying world religions this fall, and I also want to approach it from a biblical/Christian perspective as well… These are the books I have planned:

- But Don't All Religions Lead to God?

- World Religions: An Indispensable Introduction

- Christianity and World Religions

- So What's the Difference?

And these as additional references: (I already have these.)

- World Religions from Ancient to Present

- World Religions (DK) 

… If you have used any of the above books, would you care to share and give some feedback...

But Don't All Religions Lead to God (BDARLtG) is written from a Christian worldview and is more geared towards differences in worldview than in laying out the history, development and key beliefs and practices of other religions. I *am* a Christian and was annoyed with what seemed like "leading" writing -- setting up the religion to then dismiss it with a slightly smug/superior tone. It's been quite awhile since I read the book so I can't at all remember the specifics, but I DO remember being struck by some faulty apologetics about Christianity, as well. We ended up not using BDARLtG.

A somewhat similar, but older book is The Universe Next Door (UND). Also by a Christian author. It has been MANY years since I read it, so I may be forgetting something -- but, at the time, it did not strike me as having the same dismissive tone. It does come from a Christian perspective, and it does point out where other religions differ from Christianity, but in a respectful tone -- comparison of similarities/differences based out of one's own perspective and beliefs, rather than the debate style or win/lose tone of BDARLtG. Just so people reading this can make an informed decision about whether it will work for them or not: UND is still comparing (but does so respectfully), and has the ultimate conclusion that Christianity is true.

I quickly skimmed the sample pages of 2 of the 3 other books you were asking about (So What's The Difference did not have any sample pages). Both World Religions, An Indispensible Introduction and Christianity and World Religions appear to be closer in tone to UND than to BDARLtG -- comparing other religions to Christianity, but without having to put down. Both also appear to provide a lot more history and factual information about the specific religions covered than UND -- BDARLtG does not contain any history or factual info about the specific religions, as I recall.

On the flip side of the coin, we also used sections of Bowker's World Religions (DK). The secular author is clearly trying to be even-handed in presenting information about each religion so as to not "favor" any of them. But he equally clearly does not hold ANY spiritual beliefs. Matters of faith, ceremony/tradition, and the spiritual realm are a "closed book" to the author, which influences what he chooses to emphasis or include/exclude about each religion. Because we were looking for information about the history and practices of different religions to help us understand culture, this book was only partially helpful. The best part to us was all of the many photos and illustrations that accompanied the write up about each religion. ;)

The OOP Milliken series, The World's Great Religions, Inside ______ (now only available through CurrClick) was much more straightforward with basic history, key people, holidays, ceremonies, etc. Of all the resources we used, this series probably hit most of what we were looking for in one place (except for the comparison to Christianity aspect). Books are on Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, Christianity and Islam. This series is also by a secular author, and in reading through the book on Christianity, as with the World Religions (DK) book above, some of the theology and even historical background was "off" just a bit -- not entirely accurate, emphasis misplaced, or lack of understanding of spiritual meaning and context. I had to assume that was also the case for the books on the other religions as well.

We also used a number of children and teen non-fiction books from the library. It seemed to me that the more simple books (the children's books), especially by authors who were likely of that religion, kept it simple, showed the religion as part of the people's everyday life and culture, and captured the essence of what was key about the religion to the majority of adherents of that religion. So, while these books can be very simple and written to a younger audience, they often do a good job of distilling the essence and capturing the religion within its culture and showing how it is meaningful. That was important to us in our World Cultures studies, as we were attempting to understand the mindset of peoples in other cultures, and religion plays a big role in that.

We did do some worldview comparisons with Christianity, but more as a general type of thing -- more along the lines of The Big Religion Chart. We pursued the Worldview aspects (beliefs lead to an outworking of choices/actions) and comparison with Christian Worldview LATER, in the following years throughout high school through specific Worldview materials. During our World Cultures/Geography year, we ended up largely focusing on exposure to other religions and how they are a part of the culture of different peoples in different nations. Some of the books on the culture of a specific country also included pages and photos on the religion practiced in that country, which also helped us slowly shed a little light on the cultural mindset and religious beliefs and practices.

As Rosie mentioned in her post, the best way to try and understand a religion is by immersing yourself in that religion -- attending the place of worship, speaking with those who are adherents, reading the scriptures and holy writings of that religion and writings by adherents explaining the practices and spiritual beliefs. BUT... that is a HUGE and time-consuming project, and just jumping in and reading the Koran, for example, without any background in the history of the culture and Islam itself is going to be like trying to read a book printed in a foreign language. Not saying we shouldn't go to the source materials, but I am saying that without a "guidebook" or an "interpreter", it will be hard to get much understanding.

I don't know what the answer is. We just muddled through as best as we could, trying to read as wide a variety of materials from many different perspectives (Christian, secular, and from the religion itself), and tried to get a wide overview on the general history, geography, food, music and arts of each nation to let the religion inform the culture and the culture inform the religion...

Don't know if ANY of that helps you! In spite of how I worded it ;), it really WAS a super year for us -- one of our favorites! -- and it laid a *fantastic* foundation for our later high school studies in History, Worldview, and Apologetics/Bible Study. I do think there are different ways of approaching a World Cultures/Geography and Comparative Religions study -- depends on what you want to be your main focus and reasons for studying other religions. :) BEST of luck -- and hope you ENJOY your year! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Don't know if ANY of that helps you! In spite of how I worded it ;), it really WAS a super year for us -- one of our favorites! -- and it laid a *fantastic* foundation for our later high school studies in History, Worldview, and Apologetics/Bible Study. I do think there are different ways of approaching a World Cultures/Geography and Comparative Religions study -- depends on what you want to be your main focus and reasons for studying other religions. :) BEST of luck -- and hope you ENJOY your year! Warmest regards, Lori D.

The above bolded is my exact goal! Exactly it!!!

We have covered geography and history through elementary and middle school, and some years much has been retained, and some years it wasn't a focus due to various reasons and life happenings. Thus, as we begin high school my goal is to shore up Geography and History, with a mix of earth science added in as he's interested, plug in any gaps and holes, enjoy good literature, and learn about countries around the world, their cultures, food, religions, politics/government etc. to lay that solid foundation.

Thank you Lori D.! You have an amazing gift of delivering exactly what is needed! ;-)

Lori D.,

I was rushed for time in my earlier response, and wanted to expand a bit further...

Thank you so much for your amazing responses to SO MANY great threads on this board! You are such a gift and blessing to so many! ;-)

I feel it important for him to have a good solid foundation of worldviews, Christianity and apologetics, World Religions, etc

My overall layout for Social Studies / Literature focus is as follows:

9th: World Geography / Intro to Lit. (TtC WttW / EIL)

10th: World History / Lit and Comp / World Lit.

11th: American History / Am. Lit.

12th: Econ. and Govt. / Brit. Lit.

So, I have also been trying to lay out a 4 year framework for our Christian / Bible Studies... Adding in World Religions, Worldviews and Philosophies in 9th along with our geography studies, and honestly it feels like a jumbled mess and all over the map. Lol I have many books I want us to read, cover and discuss…

Bible & Christian Studies Framework

9th Grade:

World Geography (Cultural, Political & Physical)

World Religions and Philosophy

Biblical Studies / NT:

How to Read the Bible for All It’s Worth

Most Important Thing You’ll Ever Study, Survey of OT

Mere Christianity

The Soul of Science ~ Pearcy

World Religions:

Don’t All Religions Lead to God? By Michael Green

World Religions: An Indispensable Introduction by Gerald McDermott

Christianity & World Religions: An Introduction to the World’s Major Faiths by Derek Cooper

Philosophy:

Universe Next Door: A Basic Worldview Catalogue by James W. Sire

Story of Philosophy by Bryan Magee

Sophie’s World by Jostein Gaarder

10th Grade:

World History & Literature

Biblical Studies / OT:

Most Important Thing You’ll Ever Study, Survey of NT

Desiring God by Piper 

Knowing God by J.I. Packer

Knowing Christianity by J.I. Packer 

How Should We Then Live by Shaeffer

Practical Happiness by Bob Shultz

11th Grade:

American History & Literature

Doctrine and Theology:

Bible Doctrine by Grudem (for me)

Bible Doctrine for Teens and Young Adults by Beeke

Concise Theology by J.I. Packer

What is Reformed Theology by R.C. Sproul

12th Grade:

Government & Economics & British Literature

Biblical Life Application / Worldview:

Thinking Like a Christian

Countering Culture

Starting Points by David Quine

Total Truth & Study Guide by Nancy Pearcy

The Good Life by Colson

Saving Leonardo by Pearcy

Hidden Worldviews: Eight Cultural Stories that Shape Our Lives

Understanding the Times (Summit Ministries)

Scroll through this ... http://www.darienps.org/current/curriculum/COMPARATIVE-WORLD-RELIGION-CURRICULUM-GUIDE-Final1011curr.pdf

There is an entire course outline with references.  It teaches the more modern scope and does not look at it from an anthropological perspective either.  However, that is where I am torn.  Should it be Religion and Culture?  Probably.  The two are not exclusive.

HTH

Scroll through this ... http://www.darienps.org/current/curriculum/COMPARATIVE-WORLD-RELIGION-CURRICULUM-GUIDE-Final1011curr.pdf

There is an entire course outline with references.  It teaches the more modern scope and does not look at it from an anthropological perspective either.  However, that is where I am torn.  Should it be Religion and Culture?  Probably.  The two are not exclusive.

HTH

Thank you! Off to check it out!

Let me know what you decide - so do update us.  :)  I am fighting with this myself in another subject. This is a highly suggested course of study for high school, but often not implemented by the PS system.  I began researching this some time ago.  By far, that syllabus and outline was what I found to be very doable as an elective, but I wonder if it should not somehow be related to culture too and not just a study of the actual religion.  Curious to see what you do!

Let me know what you decide - so do update us.   :)  I am fighting with this myself in another subject. This is a highly suggested course of study for high school, but often not implemented by the PS system.  I began researching this some time ago.  By far, that syllabus and outline was what I found to be very doable as an elective, but I wonder if it should not somehow be related to culture too and not just a study of the actual religion.  Curious to see what you do!

At this point, we are doing BJU Cultural Geography for a 1 yr credit. I know it covers some religion, cultures, and political geography. I also have Runkle's Geography incase we decide to delve some into the physical geography aspect. I am planning on covering World Religions for one semester and an Introduction to Philosophy for the second semester. We may end up using the world religion books and philosophy books according to the areas we are covering in geography... but I'm not too worried about them lining up. My goal is for an overall  to have a basic understanding of other religions, philosophies and worldviews to prepare him for college and beyond. This framework will also be important in the foundational understanding for further historical and biblical study.

I will let you know how it goes. :001_smile: