Menu

Algebra?Geomety and Which Curriculum

elizam

In a nutshell...

Dd, who tests as being very right brained, hated Algebra last year as an 8th grader. We didn't even finish Saxon Alg. 1. I then used Keys to Alg., which was similar only better compared to my PSed ds' PReAlgebra class (he is worse at math than she is and has ADHD)

I have had Math U See and Teaching Textbooks suggested as better curriculums for my dd. She is begging to do Geometry, but it seems to be standard that you have to finish Alg. 1 to do any kind of Geometry.

I personally do not do well with any math; Geometry was harder for me than Alg. (I guess I am better at following steps and rote memorization, but those are my dd's weaknesses)

I am hesistant to spend money on anything new but need to figure this out! I do not want to re-do Saxon, even with a DIVE CD. I have the chance to look at Math U See. I don't know if I would be able to see anyone's TT.

So, which curriculum? COULD she do Geometry or is that a bad idea??

TIA!

You'll get more answers, by the way, over on the high school board where threads on higher math are quite common. Is your dd planning on heading to college? Have the two of you talked about the kinds of math requirements different colleges have, or about future SATs? Its something to consider before abandoning Algebra altogether. The amount of Algebra you need for Geometry depends on the program you use. Some geometry programs are proof based with lots of constructions, other have problems that require basic algebra for solving them.

My oldest son who struggled mightily with Algebra, never really mastering it at all, really enjoyed Jacob's Geometry. It is laid out in a pleasing way with some great graphics, has short lessons, has proofs but they are more "fill in the blank", yet it is substantial enough. Another nice thing about Jacob's is the Algebra review tucked in at the end of every chapter.

But I was able to guide him through Geometry. You might be much better off with Teaching Textbooks, which I haven't used, but constantly hear great things about. I had loved Math-U-See until Algebra -- we abandoned it before being half way through Algebra. Teaching Textbooks has some on-line samples, I believe, and there is a DVD series that uses the Jacobs textbooks. You could use the search function for these boards, highlighted at the top in red, to search for discussions on Teaching Textbooks.

One other tip I have for Algebra review -- and learning -- is to scour the shelves in one of the big bookstore chains like Borders. That's where I found Algebra Success in 20 minutes a Day, and it really helped cement some Algebra basics for my ds. I have also found other helpful books, such as test prep books. Some people I know, including a tutor my ds had, like Algebra for Dummies.

I personally would not go forward to geometry without alg b/c learning how to solve via variables, etc are fundamental to geometry.

I have used MUS's classic algebra/geometry combo book 4 x as an introduction to the material. It is very basic alg and very non-proof based geo. If your child is struggling as much as you describe it might be a good match.

I agree with Jenn. You need to look at your child's future goals. The vast majority of colleges are going to require alg 2. (Many states even require alg 2 for a high school college-bound diploma) I believe almost every state is going to require algebra 1 for a diploma (unless you have no state guidelines that you are required to follow)

DS had algebra in school in 8th grade, where they did not even do the equation of a line or the quadratic equation.

When he came home, I decided he needed more algebra but did not want him to get behind his classmates, just in case homeschooling didn't work out. So he did Foerster Algebra and Jacob Geometry in 9th.

The geometry went fine, in spite of not having completed "real" algebra the year before.

Art of Problem Solving has a post test, to see if dc needs Beginning Algebra

http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Classes/IntroAlgebra/PostTest.pdf

and a pre-test to see if dc is ready for geometry:

http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Classes/IntroGeom/PreTest.pdf

Maybe the problem is Saxon? Both Jacob's and Foersters are readily available on abebooks and ebay under $5. She does not need the latest edition. There are accompanying DVD available, but, of course, they are all expensive. The Art of Problem Solving books sound neat, but I've not been abl to find them used.

Hope this helps