Menu

Grammar & Vocab for dyslexic 8th grader

I’m having a back to school panic attack about language arts for my 8th grade dyslexic.  I would be so thankful for any input you all can provide.  Prior to 8th grade, she has been through one year of Easy Grammar.  Outside of that, we were less structured, using various workbooks and curricula here and there (Intermediate Language Lessons, Write Source editing workbooks, etc)

For the upcoming year, I am unsure what to do with her.  I recently spoke with an English teacher who insisted that grammar, grammar, and more grammar is so important to being a good writer.  Immediately, I started thinking I should beef up grammar for my kids.  I would love to hear what you all have found success for your dyslexic kids.  I am torn between trying traditional programs such as Rod & Staff or MCT (which I cannot believe wouldn’t be too much information, but I have read some dyslexic kids thrive on it).  My other options would be more Easy Grammar, the updated Fix It, or Analytical Grammar (can’t say I really know much about AG at this point).

I’m definitely open to other suggestions.  We will be working our way through Barton 9 and 10.  I would also love to add more vocabulary, but don’t want to overdo it this year.  I would love to try MCT vocabulary but it looks really tough to implement.  I do get overwhelmed by keeping up, nevertheless with something that might not give me clear instructions and direction, which I assume is the case with MCT vocabulary.

She will be using IEW SWI B for composition.

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide!

Melissa

O.k. I have very little time so apologize for brevity here but these are my thoughts (edited after I had time to think a bit):

1.  You are using Barton.  Susan Barton recommends pairing Barton with IEW and Fix-It Grammar.

2.  You are using IEW.

3.  Fix-It Grammar has been designed to work well with IEW.

4.  Fix-It Grammar has been updated and revised and I hear lots of good things about it (and I have already purchased it and really like what I see so far).

5.  Fix-It Grammar can be used with an older child without them feeling like the material is babyish.

6.  Fix-It Grammar is apparently easy to implement and only requires about 15-20 minutes total per day 

7.  The revised version of Fix-It Grammar is supposed to be a complete grammar program, nothing else needed for grammar.

8.  The student pages are accessible on-line so you can print out only what you intend to use, or additional pages when needed, without having to purchase a second student book or waste pages in a pre-printed book (only the TM is pre-printed and can be used over and over).

9.  There is a free placement test available on-line if you are uncertain which level to use.

10.  And the kicker:  IEW has a 100% money back full refund policy if you don't like their programs (if you purchase through them).

Conclusion...maybe Fix-It Grammar (revised version) would be your best bet.

:)  But I'm no expert....best wishes.

Well since your whole search for new grammar is based on the assumption that she needs more grammar to be a decent writer, why don't you first see how her writing is with IEW?  If it's fine, it's fine.  

If you end up wanting grammar, at that age I'd considering Analytical Grammar, done together with a whiteboard.  

AG makes me want to poke a fork in my eye. :w00t:   

For 8th, we used EG Ultimate Grade 8 and Winston Basic.  This year, we are diagramming using this booklet.  Another diagramming program that looks interesting is this one.

:lol:   I know.   ;)  Some people seem to think doing 20 of something makes you learn more.   :lol:  It's not illegal to do only 3 of the tasks and do them on a whiteboard or orally.  It's ok to cheat.  But I like your plan too.   :D

We started Barton at age 12.  We were able to move pretty quickly through the first few levels due to starting with an older kid and using a tutor who was better at knowing what could be rushed.  Level 4 certainly contained a lot of information, and we were using a tutor at that time.  Overall, something about the program has helped my kiddo.  I don't recall any problem with level 4.   It definitely got more complicated as we entered into areas where there are so many exceptions.  My kiddo got very frustrated by all the places that you just have to look up the spelling.  

:lol: I know. ;) Some people seem to think doing 20 of something makes you learn more. :lol: It's not illegal to do only 3 of the tasks and do them on a whiteboard or orally. It's ok to cheat. But I like your plan too. :D

I reduced the sentences down to three. There were too many sentences per page, the font was too small, and it reeked too much of fussy/pedantic for my taste. I couldn't get past all that to teach it. My head hurts thinking about it, but many love it.