Menu

Saxon Level Question

JenniferA

Hi all! New poster, long time reader here (ya'll are all brilliant, I've been reading for years, and so far all of my questions have been answered!). My daughter is 8, we've been using Saxon since K and it's always been easy for her. Now she's about to start Saxon 3, but I'm wondering if I should skip and go to 5/4. If we do 3, I'll test until we get to a test that she finds difficult, but I just keep wondering. Is there anything in 3 that she absolutely must have before going to 5/4? I really wish I had skipped K, and just started with 1, but hindsight...Anyway, so my questions are: Would she miss anything detrimental in 3? And what would you do?

Thanks!

We are currently in Saxon 3, and yes, you can start Saxon 1 in kindergarten and skip K.  But I wouldn't skip 3.  Until now, they haven't covered much in multiplication and division until 3.  However, you could try Intermediate 3 that might be a little more challenging for her and ease her into the 5/4 format.  You could also skip a lot of the beginning 50 lessons that are review and maybe test out of them.

Saxon 3 still uses worksheets which is easier for young children than the textbook approach of Saxon 54. Also Saxon 3 covers multiplication and division slowly over the year. The goal is for the children to be comfortable with their facts. That's actually my standard for starting Saxon 54: is the child comfortable with their math facts?

My suggestion is to go ahead and do Saxon 3. If she's eager, do 2 lessons a day for a time and move quickly through the book. :001_smile: