Menu

XPOST Looking for advice-Lial's Basic College Math-HELP

ok after reading tons of posts, I think I have decided to use Lial Basic College Math for my 12 year old sons.  One has finished Zeta in Math u See, and the other finished Abeka book 6.  I think they are both very smart and catch on quickly-I would like them in the same book now that they are entering the harder math.  i am comfortable teaching math up to Pre-Calc.

I want to make sure there are no holes before we head into Algebra 1, and from what I understand using Lial Basic College Math will prepare them for Algebra 1 the following year.  Please correct me if I am wrong about this!!!!!!!!

What I need to know is which edition to buy???  There are so many different editions that I am overwhelmed when I look!

Could someone please give me either the edition number or better yet, an ISBN number for the best overall edition!

Thanks so much, this board is a life saver!!

Pm

BCM is mostly an arithmetic review-- just a tiny bit deeper than 6th grade level.  It has a long chapter on basic Geometry formula work and one chapter that introduces negatives and basic Algebra.

I refer to it as 'Pre-Algebra 1'.  Most BCM problems are 1-2 steps.

Some STRONG students can go from BCM into Algebra 1 with no issues (but will need to work the first chapter of Lial's Introductory Algebra)-- when I teach an Algebra 1 class  I begin with chapter 3...

Most students will do so much better in Introductory Algebra if they work the Lial Pre-Algebra (I call this Pre-Algebra 2).  It is a great bridge between middle school math and Algebra. This text begins with negatives and variables in the first lesson-- then works through standard 'middle school' concepts but adds those components in-- to show students that Algebra is just a continuation of arithmetic--not a totally different creature.  Most of the Lial Pre-Algebra problems are 3-4 steps

If your students can handle the Lial Pre-Algebra then go with it-- you can always pull back to BCM (but I think you will be fine).

Chapter 3 in Introductory Algebra has problems that are 5-6 steps if not more!