Menu

Cat problem- need some help

indigomama

We got a kitten about 5 months ago. He was around 4 months or so when we got him. We have one litter box with a hood. He has never had any problems with using it. The last couple of days, we have found little pieces of poo around the outside of the box. We keep a mat or rug under the box. Last night DH saw the cat jump out of the box and when he did he still had poo on him and it flung everywhere. This morning, I smelled poo, which I never do, and found little pieces on the floor again. 

How do we fix this? He's not a long hair, but should I have his bottom area shaved? Is it a litter box issue? Possible health issue? Help-please!

Warning - gross content!

It sounds like it is still "hanging on" when he gets out of the box. I've seen that when one of our cats had eaten pine straw and it was passing through. It may be a muscular issue, though w/him not pushing long enough maybe? Since this is a new issue I'd take him to the vet to see if they can tell if there's something going on that needs to be treated. It may be he needs a change in food - he could be slightly constipated, or even have hemorrhoids that are making him uncomfortable and causing him to exit the box early. 

It really sounds to me as if it's more of a diet or health issue than a litter box issue.

Have you changed his food?  If not, it's always possible that some ingredients in his food have been changed.  Manufacturers do it all the time.  Or have you given him any kind of new treat?

Are you scooping his cat box every day so he has a clean place to poo?  That can make a difference.

Also, this is fairly typical.  It will happen occasionally.  As long as you are maintaining his box, I wouldn't worry about it, and would just clean up as needed.

When one of our cats was a kitten, sometimes poo would hang on, and she would just wiggle and it would come off on the laundry room floor (the room next to the litter box room).  It was gross and funny at the same time.

That doesn't happen anymore, now that she's older.

Yes, we try to scoop every day. Every once in a while it might be that it's two days, but we try to be very consistent with every day. And we change the whole litter box and wash it about every 3-4 weeks. Should we do that more often? We are cat newbies. 

We have always used the same food. We use EVO: chicken. Mostly wet food, with a little of dry (because he loves it). It was rated as a good food, but we are willing to explore other options.

As I said, it's not unusual for pet food manufacturers to change ingredients, and they often do so w/o any label changes to let the consumer know.  Unless, of course, you're a pet food geek like me and read ALL the ingredients every time you buy a new bag or can. ;)

Natura, the original manaufacturer of EVO, was sold out to Proctor and Gamble a few years ago.  Historically when they've bought out pet food companies the quality of the food has gone down.  Innova (also made by Natura) used to be the one pet food I swore by.  But once P&G bought them I started using other foods.  The recalls they've had since then have reinforced my decision..

As I said, it's not unusual for pet food manufacturers to change ingredients, and they often do so w/o any label changes to let the consumer know.  Unless, of course, you're a pet food geek like me and read ALL the ingredients every time you buy a new bag or can. ;)

Natura, the original manaufacturer of EVO, was sold out to Proctor and Gamble a few years ago.  Historically when they've bought out pet food companies the quality of the food has gone down.  Innova (also made by Natura) used to be the one pet food I swore by.  But once P&G bought them I started using other foods.  The recalls they've had since then have reinforced my decision..

Thanks. I will see if I can check into whether they have changed ingredients. I have to order online, as we only have Walmart and tractor supply in town. 

I guess I'll see how the next couple of days go and then decide if I should take him in to the vet.

You should scoop out the box every day or two, but change the entire litter every week.  If you are not changing until three or four weeks, that could be your problem right there.

Assuming proper litter box management (which IMO means a minimum of once a day scooping, and preferably twice a day) there's no need to change out the entire box more than once a month.  That's assuming the use of a good quality clumping litter.  Clay litter does need to be changed weekly.

We use clumping litter. Changing every week would get really expensive. We don't ever notice a smell, and we ask guests who come over and no one else has ever noticed. And nothing has been different since we got him, and his problem is new. But I'll make sure we are diligent about scooping. Thanks everyone.