Menu

Plan for school year may include drowning in read alouds

What age did your children do more of their own reading?

Did you have trouble handing this over?

How much time do you personally spend reading to the children each day?

I love my plan for the children for this upcoming school year except I think I'm going to be sunk by too many read alouds each day. I did buy some on CD, but I don't like handing it over because I want to live each book also so we can discuss it and in some cases do some notebooking.

Each day, I have planned in the morning to read aloud from

The Bible

A devotion

poetry

During the school time I have in to read aloud each day

a book to accompany Ancient Greece or Rome Veritas Press history -- not every week

a story from American History (living books curriculum) 2 x week

a tale (fairy tale, folk tale from around the world, tall tale or classic picture book)

a book from what I'm calling "classical studies" (I made that category up) to include Greek myths, astronomy, and Greek science/math)

I also am going to read aloud to my preschool and kindergartner the Wee Folk Art books each week and I'd also like to do some of the Burgess stories with them.

Then at bedtime I plan to read from a good chapter book. We are starting with Wizard of Oz to accompany ELTL. And of course I'll need to read picture books to the littles.

There is nothing I want to cut out. Maybe this is just a season with the ages I have that so much needs to be read together.

Sagg was a late reader. He started taking over at 9or 10, but most of our studies are combined, so he still had to listen, even though he could have done the reading on his own. By next year, I think he will be completely independent-7th grade. But that's because he is aging out of elementary materials. If I didn't have all the others, he could be on his own now. In fact, he's petitioning me for separate content subjects already.

I read about 3 hours a day. It sounds like a lot, but I have 4 at different levels, so I break them up to work with them separately. It's really not bad.

What has worked for us is to work on only one or read-aloud/content subjects at a time, for a month or so. Right now we are doing biology. Next will be grammarland. Then history. Then back to science again (human anatomy, I think). In addition to that I have a literature read aloud or poetry, and lots of picture books-2-4 a day.