Menu

Dixon pencils no longer have Microban in them

ILiveInFlipFlops

Since it's school supply time and the Ticonderogas are on sale everywhere, I emailed Dixon customer service to determine whether or not the pencils still have the chemicals added. They confirmed that they stopped using Microban last year, but that you might still see some older pencil packages with it as retailers try to get rid of their back stock. Woohoo! 

Since it's school supply time and the Ticonderogas are on sale everywhere, I emailed Dixon customer service to determine whether or not the pencils still have the chemicals added. They confirmed that they stopped using Microban last year, but that you might still see some older pencil packages with it as retailers try to get rid of their back stock. Woohoo! 

Ah. That explains the pencils I bought last year that didn't have Microban on the packaging anywhere. Leaving me confused when people kept mentioning they had Microban in them!

Maybe I've been living under a rock. I have never heard of Triclosan or Microban. I don't even recall seeing it on labels, either. Most of our pencils we use came from the Dollar Tree and have little foam things I bought separately slid over them. I have no idea if/what chemicals are in those items. I just know I was happy to see PVC-free binders available in the store.

Triclosan is the active ingredient in most hand sanitizers, and it's linked to all kinds of problems. The latest trend is including Microban or other antibacterial chemicals into tons of things, including clothing, shoes, kitchen products, washcloths, and so on. If you want to avoid those kinds of chemicals, you have to look at what you're buying really carefully these days, because it feels like they're everywhere. 

The boots that DD12 owned that had some kind of antibacterial additive were the foulest smelling shoes she'd ever owned. She's never had a stinky shoe problem before or since  :confused1: