Menu

Tell me about Miniluk

We have a set my DD started using at 3, and still plays occasionally now although it's not one of her favorites. They have advanced books that go up into the early grades, although I'm not sure how high.

It's basically a set of tiles with numbers on one side and right-angle trapezoids on the other...There are puzzles in books, many different kinds from sequencing to math and reading, kids sequence the tiles in the order dictated by the puzzle, and if they answer correctly when they flip the (transparent) tile tray over they'll see some sort of pattern on the bottom, which is a nice reward. (Hard to explain, so I hope that makes sense!)

The books can be replayed, as long as they're still holding interest, kind of like the same puzzle can be put together multiple times. We use it as independent seat work, it's easy enough for my DD to do on her own. I don't know if I would have paid full price for it, but I found a set with the complete set of books at a great deal on ebay. (Some of the books were in German, but that didn't matter for the vast majority of puzzles.) It does a reasonably good job of helping to develop critical thinking and visual-spatial skills, I think.

CPSTAnne, so do you think the bambinoLUK is worth buying? I was thinking of miniluk for DD5, but I wonder if bambinoLUK for DS3 is a better idea. I would like an activity for DD5 that she can do on her own while I am putting DS3 to bed or in the morning before the rest of the house is awake. If the bambinoLUK is recommended, I might try it for DS3 when I am working with DD5.

CPSTAnne, so do you think the bambinoLUK is worth buying? I was thinking of miniluk for DD5, but I wonder if bambinoLUK for DS3 is a better idea. I would like an activity for DD5 that she can do on her own while I am putting DS3 to bed or in the morning before the rest of the house is awake. If the bambinoLUK is recommended, I might try it for DS3 when I am working with DD5.

I think it is worth it, but I don't know if a 3 yo could be independent with it. Well, the checking part anyway. The MiniLuk has an easier to check pattern. The Bambino has dots and I think it would be harder for a young child to note the differences. My 2yo definitely is  no where near there, and I don't think most 3yo's would be either. I don't even know if my 6yo would be patient enough to pay attention to the color pattern of the dots to check! If you didn't worry about them checking and just wanted it for the play factor, then yes, I think so. I only have the Primary books, for 2 year olds. I don't have the main books for 3-5, so I can't speak to the quality or difficulty of those activities. I do plan on getting them, though, as soon as I think DD is ready to move on. 6yo is happy with the mini.

(sorry if this is rambl-y, I've had a long, not-so-good day and my brain is not all in the game)

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is worth it, but I don't know if a 3 yo could be independent with it. Well, the checking part anyway. The MiniLuk has an easier to check pattern. The Bambino has dots and I think it would be harder for a young child to note the differences. My 2yo definitely is no where near there, and I don't think most 3yo's would be either. I don't even know if my 6yo would be patient enough to pay attention to the color pattern of the dots to check! If you didn't worry about them checking and just wanted it for the play factor, then yes, I think so. I only have the Primary books, for 2 year olds. I don't have the main books for 3-5, so I can't speak to the quality or difficulty of those activities. I do plan on getting them, though, as soon as I think DD is ready to move on. 6yo is happy with the mini.

(sorry if this is rambl-y, I've had a long, not-so-good day and my brain is not all in the game)

Thanks for replying despite your long day! Makes perfect sense to me. I suspect my kids would be more likely to play with the cards than follow the intended activity.

I did the these at school and I loved them. I remember being in at least 4th grade, maybe even 7th grade doing them. Not sure there was much keen ring value at that grade but it was a fun class time activity.

My son has the miniLUK. He started at 3. He is not 4.5. He does okay but i do need to get more advanced books. The sample was quite limited. But certainly a good test.

Check to see if YouTube has any reviews or demonstrations.