Menu

Does this exist? Celtic mythology book in the style of D'Aulaires

My girls are huge fans of myths. We have the D'Aulaires Greek and Norse books, as well as this Treasury of Egyptian Mythology, which is beautiful, but not as kid-friendly as the D'Aulaires. Now they are asking for some Celtic myths, and I've had no luck searching on Amazon. The books I've found in our local library have either been isolated tales or incredibly dry overviews. I'd love to find something that gives a solid overview of the pantheon, but whose text is still engaging enough that they'll want to read it again on their own.

TIA!

The Names Upon the Harp retells the three main Cycles for kids. Beautiful pictures.

If you're looking for something that focuses on the gods and goddesses themselves, that may be tough. We don't know much about many of them, much less their stories and how they fit together. I think the stories from the Cycles are your best bet, but I'll try to poke around and see if I can find anything else.

I have a growing but sizable collection of world myths and the closest thing I can think of is a Dover Thrift book I have called Celtic Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs.  I'll try to think about it and add something if I remember one I forgot about.  I remember buying one as a gift for a friend one time... but I can't remember what it was...

Good luck!

http://www.amazon.com/Favorite-Celtic-Childrens-Thrift-Classics/dp/0486283526/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1406472127&sr=1-1&keywords=favorite+celtic+fairy+tales+joseph+jacobs

Thanks for the suggestions! We do use audiobooks in the car, so I'll look for those.

The Names Upon the Harp retells the three main Cycles for kids. Beautiful pictures.

If you're looking for something that focuses on the gods and goddesses themselves, that may be tough. We don't know much about many of them, much less their stories and how they fit together. I think the stories from the Cycles are your best bet, but I'll try to poke around and see if I can find anything else.

This looks beautiful. I'll definitely give it a try! Between this and Over Nine Waves linked below, I think we'll be set. :)

Two more possibilities (though I haven't seen the actual books to be sure of the quality):

Druids, Gods & Heroes from Celtic Mythology

Celtic Tales and Legends - for younger children I think.

Both give more stories than just the Irish cycles in the books I linked before.

The first link is one that I'd found at our library. It is very informative, but in a nonfiction, rather than narrative manner. That's what I meant by dry. It would be an excellent resource for research, or for an older reader.