Menu

Sequoia/Kings Canyon...have you been there?

Hike, hike, hike!

DH & I went there together before we were married. We actually started out in S. CA and drove up to Sequoia/Kings Canyon, where we spent a couple of days camping and hiking around to see the sequoias, and did a nice day hike out to a beautiful waterfall. Then we spent a couple of days at Yosemite doing the same thing (Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite Falls, Half Dome, and El Capitan!). We went through San Fransisco and spent a night in a hotel there (not my favorite city - it's too cold and cloudy!). Then we drove through Big Sur back down to S. CA, stopping along the way to do a sunset horseback ride on the beach, rock hop on the coast, eat something at Nepenthe, and go to the beach to see the Sea Lions. It was an incredible trip - like a honeymoon (which is good because we didn't get one after we were married ;) ) I think it took us just over a week to do the whole trip. Well worth the drive!

By spring break, do you mean in March? Just a warning that there will probably be lots of snow and some roads are closed. My extended family went out there for a week two years ago, but we went in May. We loved Crystal Cave, but I don't think that is open earlier in spring. There are lots of hiking trails. We didn't hike very far due to the age spread (2 yo to 82 yo) of our group. We ended up spending more time in the car than I was imagining, just because a lot of the sites are far apart.

My kids are still asking when we can go back, they really loved it there. I'd love to go, but we live in Michigan so it would be quite a trip.

Jean

Although details are a little fuzzy now. Both are beautiful. In Sequoia, you want to see the giant trees. There are caves in both parks, Boyden and Crystal Cave. I've been through both, I'm thinking it was Crystal that was better. There is tons of beautiful hiking.

It is probably too cold there in the early spring. I was there in the summer both times.

Oh, both parks have very strict rules on bear precautions. Bear box for EVERYTHING! You shouldn't even have a box of baby wipes in your tent, no gum, nothing that a bear could imagine eating.

We enjoyed our stay in Sequoia more, but that mainly had to do with the campground. We stayed in Lodgepole campground, it was nicer than the one in Kings Canyon.

Michelle T