Menu

What if you sell something, and it doesn't show up?

brownie

What would you do if you sold curriculum, the tracking number shows it was delivered priority through USPS, but the person claims they didn't get it?  Split the price plus the shipping cost with them?  I hate to mistrust someone and assume they are lying.  I assume the tracking number must be 99% reliable, otherwise there would be no point.  I almost wish the package would have been lost...I would have gotten the insurance money at least. 

eta: the item wasn't sold on here or I wouldn't be posting about it here :)

If the tracking says it's definitely delivered and you had the address correct I'm not sure it's your problem. Surely that's why you get tracking. If we assume that it did get delivered then maybe a neighbour took it in our it's been tucked away somewhere strange if they were out.

When did it say it was delivered? My mail carrier marks things as delivered even if she forgot to deliver them and will do it the next day. She said she gets in trouble if she doesn't??? It seems to me she should get in trouble for lying more than not having things marked off as delivered, but that's what she said.

It was "delivered" 9 days ago:(

The tracking only shows the city and state so I guess I'm not sure how I can prove I got the address correct, nor can she prove I got it wrong.  I would imagine the info is out there somewhere perhaps?

I would recommend the person who purchased the item take the issue up with their post office.  If the package had tracking and was marked as delivered I would assume it was.  Paypal, ebay and the like would side with you if the purchaser chose to dispute it.  I have seen too much to trust people I don't know in that situation though I know there is a slim possibility it really didn't show up (hence my recommendation to take it up with their post office).

phew!  Well she found it.  Someone else had brought it in the house and had not told her.  I'm just glad that's over with!

Because yes I would be upset with a retailer, but on the other hand, if we refund people their money just bc they claim they didn't get something, even when we have proof, nobody would ever sell used stuff.  That hurts us all!  Brownie

In my opinion purchasing something from a private seller generally comes with a bit more risk (that is the trade off for the lower price).  I take this into account when I determine if it is worth purchasing it that way or if I would be better off spending a little extra for the reassurance that comes with purchasing from a large company.