Menu

Mother/Daughter Vacation..........Where's a good place to go?

My dh visited a friend of his last August who was living in Switzerland. I wasn't able to go because our youngest was a baby and our then 4yo has life threatening food allergies. We didn't feel comfortable leaving him in someone else's care. So dh took our 8 yo ds with him. I'm so glad he got to go! They were able to visit Paris and parts of Germany too! Well, now dh thinks I should take our 10 yo daughter on a mother/daughter trip this year. I don't feel comfortable leaving the US on my own, not to mention I don't have any friends living in other countries. LOL! Any ideas?

when she was "into" American Girls dolls we visited Chicago. We visited the store, saw the show there, ate in the cafe, but also saw a Shakespeare production on the Navy Pier, went to the art museum, and ate at some fun restaurants.

A US city vacation can provide all of those venues for mother/daughter fun. Museums, shows, dinner out. Washington DC and NYC (now safe and happy - totally!) would be good options, too. Get a hotel right in town. Use cabs or walk to get around. Easy to plan with internet. Also the events you would do tend to be very safe in contolled environments that make it stressfree - yes, even in the middle of a big city. Eat breakfast in the hotel, take a cab to the museum - inside the museum all day, lunch there. Safe, Easy.

DD and I have been to several places, just the two of us. Our next goal is to attend the Shaw (as in George Bernard) Festival in Niagara on the Lake some summer. She's a dancer with a proclivity for English Lit (hmmm, wonder where THAT came from LOL) so we like to do English geek stuff. Ha!

We've also gone to Philadelphia to see ballet and NYC several times.

Pick a US city - find cheap air fare - find a show and a museum to take in. Fun fun fun.

What about Prince Edward Island? My in-laws went not too long ago and thought it was really lovely.

Boston? For all the fun history stuff (if she's into that).

I know you prefer to stay in the country, but England/Scotland/Ireland are (obviously) English-speaking, and very easy to navigate. If this interests you I can make a few recommendations. We loved the Dartmouth area (SW coast). London was also nice, though expensive.

A cabin in Colorado or Oregon?

Just some ideas.

We do have air-miles to use, so maybe I could handle a trip to England. Chicago is also a good idea. My dh has had to travel there for work often and he says it's a nice city. We're only 1.5 hours from DC and 2 hours from NYC, so I'd rather go somewhere we wouldn't normally get to go to.

Can you tell I have opinions? England is a fantastic place to go if you are nervous about foreign travel but want to try it.

For a first trip, I would suggest London and Bath, with a side trip to Stonehenge.

In London, you can see the British Museum, the National Gallery, the Tower of London, Hyde Park, and the War Cabinet Rooms, just to name a few. And see a play.

In Bath, you can see the Roman Baths, take a Guide Friday tour (lots of Jane Austen info), tour a Georgian house on the Royal Crescent, take a boat ride down the canal, just to name a few. Tea in the Pump Room would make a very special mother/daughter treat.

Can you tell I have opinions? England is a fantastic place to go if you are nervous about foreign travel but want to try it.

For a first trip, I would suggest London and Bath, with a side trip to Stonehenge.

In London, you can see the British Museum, the National Gallery, the Tower of London, Hyde Park, and the War Cabinet Rooms, just to name a few. And see a play.

In Bath, you can see the Roman Baths, take a Guide Friday tour (lots of Jane Austen info), tour a Georgian house on the Royal Crescent, take a boat ride down the canal, just to name a few. Tea in the Pump Room would make a very special mother/daughter treat.

I agree with all of this! I love going to England, although my 10yodd hasn't yet been. She is asking for a mother/daughter trip there in the next couple of years, and if the boys don't want to come, we'll do it. But I have a hunch we'll all be going. :rolleyes:

All the places listed above would be great. Actually, I already have an agenda typed up that we will do, and most of those ideas are on it. I've seen a lot of London & various other parts of Great Britain, but Bath I haven't yet been. And I wanna! :) Can I come?? :D

took our first mother/daughter trip together this past summer for her 14th birthday.

We drove down to Sea Island, off the coast of Georgia. It's a private island (you have to have a car pass just to get on the island). We stayed for three nights, played on the beach, had our nails done, and had a fabulous dinner on her birthday. When the staff of the hotel found out it was her birthday everywhere we went they sang Happy Birthday to her or wished her a happy birthday.

We took a "turtle walk" one night and saw a nest of turtles hatching, 33 of them! They all made it to the ocean safely. What a treat that was.

The entire trip was wonderful and I know my dd will always remember that special time.

• 1 month later...
Guest MADONA

I'm traveling to Israel for a study tour next week and would be interested to hear from anyone who's had a similar experience or been in that part of the world that might have some tips or suggestions. Anything from how much money for spending to take preferred ways of carrying money around (I don't want to have to buy a money belt), international flight tips, etc. Any tips will be great appreciated.

New York City! I took my almost 10 yo dd to NYC this past December. We had a blast...saw 2 shows(Wicked and Mary Poppins) went to the Metropolitan Museum, Empire State bldg, had lunch at American Girl, saw Santa at Macy's on 42nd street and strolled through Central Park in the snow.(and my dd said to add in "in froze"). We went for weekend...Sat. am through Mon. afternoon.

Now England sounds like it would be fun, too!

When's a good time to visit?

I don't think you can ever go and expect good weather. So, like the rest of Europe, anytime is a good time. See if Rick Steves has a book on England. His travel books are the best.

Or bag England and go the Belgium the first week of August. We can meet!:D

One idea for out of the country would be England, Ireland, or Scotland, all of which are English-speaking and have wonderful, easily-navigated public transportation systems. It's easier than you might think.

If you really prefer not to go that far, other good possibilities might be Prince Edward Island (connecting to Anne of Green Gables) or Boston for historical fun.

My husband and I used to travel over there a lot before we had kids (and my best friend is from Cornwall), so we have been all over England. When we went we used to stay at a different B&B/Hotel every night and travel/tour during the daytime, so we saw a lot. London is fabulous and cannot be missed if for no other reason than to go to the museums, Harrods, Fortnum and Mason, Tower of London, Westminster Abbey, St. Paul's, ect. However, when I get there all I want to do is get out of the city. I ADORE the Cotswolds - just meandering from village to village stopping at local places along the way, having tea every afternoon and taking tons of pictures. Bath is also wonderful - the Pump Room and Tea Room are not to be missed. Another favorite place of mine is York because it has a great cathedral and lots of cute shops and tea rooms. If you want to tour a university, I highly recommend Cambridge over Oxford. Oxford gets really congested, while Cambridge is just as beautiful and far more relaxing (definately go on a punting tour down the Cam as it is the best way to see everything). It feels more like a college town than Oxford does.

As to when to go, I would look at the school calendars over there (their school year is very different than ours) and try to go before their schools let out - weatherwise I would suggest May. My recommendation would be a few days in London, train to Bath, drive back to London through the Cotswolds (with a side trip to Cambridge by train depending on how much time you have). Stay in B&B's as much as possible because you really get to know the people that way and most have great breakfasts!!! Make sure that wherever you are you stop for tea around 3-4pm (it is a custom that is great to bring home with you) and have a great time!!!

• 9 months later...

A great place to go with your daughter is the Mary Monarch Festivle, in Hilo Hawaii. It is a HULA compatition and it would be fun!:tongue_smilie: