Menu

Spelling... computer based or online.. anyone love what they use?

Spelling.. sigh... it seems to just fall by the wayside no matter how hard I try..

We've tried:

Spelling Workout

Various "public school" spelling workbooks

Soaring with Spelling

Sequential Spelling

Rod and Staff

and I'm sure more that I'm forgetting..

the issue is the monotony...

My kids love online or computer based stuff.. and I like that I can get them set up.. and then help one of the other ones... Lots of juggling going on here..

Is there a nice, not too $$ spelling that is online? Spelling City.. we've tried it.. but the games are odd.. Like Hang Mouse.. they don't even get a list to refer to.. and the activity is frustrating even for the older kiddos..I really want a spelling program that can be self paced, on the computer or online, that will keep track of progress etc...

Hmmmm.  I was going to suggest spellingcity.  My dc actually like the hang mouse game.  :)

What I like about spellingcity is that I can plug in our Rod and Staff spelling words (paid subscription) and they can practice them on there.

Hmmmm.  I was going to suggest spellingcity.  My dc actually like the hang mouse game.  :)

What I like about spellingcity is that I can plug in our Rod and Staff spelling words (paid subscription) and they can practice them on there.

:iagree:

My kids do a spelling game after their R&S spelling workbook exercises and take their tests at Spelling City, too.  I did pay for a subscription so they could have more variety in games.  Spelling gets done and is basically independent here, and my kids are learning and becoming better spellers.  I love, seriously love, this combo!   :001_wub:

A sub. is $29.99 annually for up to 5 kids.  You don't need to do individual accounts though for each kid.  It's nice though because my boys like to try to score higher on a game than before and it keeps track of the words they missed on their spelling tests. I don't them move on to the next R&S level until they can get all the misspelled words for the year right on a final spelling test, so it keeps me having to keep track of the words myself.