Menu

Classical Astronomy - Signs and Seasons

Has anyone used this book: Signs and Seasons: Understanding the Elements of Classical Astronomy by Jay Ryan?

I like the idea behind it - exploring astronomy as it was discovered -- first without a telescope, etc. I am considering buying it for my grandchildren but I hate to buy it sight unseen or unreviewed (except on Amazon).

Also, I wonder how well it can be carried out in a major city, with only occasional trips to less light polluted areas.

Has anyone used this?

YES and we LOVED IT!  Diamond also used the lab book for high school credit. We live in a large suburb of a major city and did fine.

Have you been on the actual website?  Be sure to sign up for his newsletter and facebook group- MUCH great info there!

• 4 weeks later...

Did you use the field guide?  Intoxicated on Life has an astronomy field guide for $10 that I already own and plan to use with my 6th grader and 3rd grader.  I'm wondering if we could use the Signs and Seasons textbook plus that field guide for my 9th grader for high school credit.