Menu

Just "180 Tools for Reading and Spelling"? What do you think?

http://archive.lewrockwell.com/taylor/taylor163.html

If teachers would make sure that these 180 tools were taught and re-taught as students develop new and higher skills, America could again become an educational model for the world.

180 Tools To Repair the Damage

• 26 ABCs
  • 70 Spellings for the
  • 44 Sounds of American English
  • 29 Spelling Rules
  • 6 Syllable Types
  • 3 Types of Writing: Narrative, Informative, Informative-Narrative
  • 2 Types of Questions: Literal, Inferential

Free printable flashcards for the 70 phonograms and the 29 spelling rules, if you want them. This is the best printable set I've seen yet. 

http://www.husd.org/cms/lib07/AZ01001450/Centricity/Domain/2663/Spalding%20Phonogram%20Cards%20Packet.pdf

When triaging, I don't always teach the O-G phonograms. I think O-G has it strengths, but I don't think it's the ONLY way and always the BEST way for ALL students.

I know Spalding teaches narrative, informative, informative-narrative; but I tend to teach narrative, informative, persuasive. Others divide into narrative, informative, persuasive, descriptive.

Inference is the only reading comprehension technique I teach when triaging. That I agree with 100%. I was SO confused about inference as a child, and all my requests for help were met with strange and confusing replies. Life would have been so much easier if I'd had one 15 minute mini-lesson on inference.

What is YOUR shortlist for language arts?

Hunter,

What do you mean by triaging?

I am back to Spell to Write and Read.  We're one room schoolhousing it right now and I am going to teach a large class (with the moms sitting with their kiddos) in the fall.  I am super excited and wondering why I took so long to get back to SWR after quitting years ago.  I still really like Saxon, but I'm thinking it isn't very practical with so many kids to teach 3 or 4 different phonics lessons per day (because my oldest really needs some remediation).  CC started carrying it so I jumped back in and am so glad I did.

Also, they started carrying the American Language Series Readers and I bought them, but to be honest I didn't really like them.  But when my 6 year old started reading the first one she loved it so much that she wanted to put it in her "special box".  So maybe my opinion isn't the same as my children's opinions.  Once they can read all the books in that series they can probably jump right into any picture book or easier level chapter book......

Did you see my post on the Core Knowledge Series as read aloud material?  Where are you with those?  Are you follwing the Dirda list and that Children's Lit list?

Hunter,

What do you mean by triaging?

I am back to Spell to Write and Read.  We're one room schoolhousing it right now and I am going to teach a large class (with the moms sitting with their kiddos) in the fall.  I am super excited and wondering why I took so long to get back to SWR after quitting years ago.  I still really like Saxon, but I'm thinking it isn't very practical with so many kids to teach 3 or 4 different phonics lessons per day (because my oldest really needs some remediation).  CC started carrying it so I jumped back in and am so glad I did.

Also, they started carrying the American Language Series Readers and I bought them, but to be honest I didn't really like them.  But when my 6 year old started reading the first one she loved it so much that she wanted to put it in her "special box".  So maybe my opinion isn't the same as my children's opinions.  Once they can read all the books in that series they can probably jump right into any picture book or easier level chapter book......

Did you see my post on the Core Knowledge Series as read aloud material?  Where are you with those?  Are you follwing the Dirda list and that Children's Lit list?

I skimmed your post. :lol:

Forgive me, but your posts about plans feel so complicated to me, even when you are trying to simplify. What would your posts look like if your were NOT trying to simplify?

I'm never far from the Dirda and Children's Literature list, even if I'm using something more complicated. The second I get overwhelmed, I see what on my list, is and is not, on the 2 reading lists and instantly feel less anxious.

My definition of triage means carefully selecting things to die. Instead of trying to save everything, I cross a few time consuming things off the list and divert my limited resources to what I can save. Triage nurses wake up with nightmares about the people they chose to die. They are some of the most courageous people in the world. Triage, when you HAVE to do it, takes courage. It means letting good things die. But not triaging, when you need to  triage, still means death and often more death.

Right now, I'm using Far Above Rubies Unit Study as my spine, but a simplified version using these Robinson Curriculum Student Planners.

http://beckijohnson.com/shop/robinson-curriculum-student-planner/

And mostly resources from the Crisis Plan for Language Arts thread

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/508287-a-crisis-plan-for-language-arts-lots-and-lots-of-free-links/

And Ray's and then Saxon for math.

I am at my most relaxed, then I have been since the 90s. I got all the expensive and new things out of my system, and found they did NOT produce better results. I didn't do a great job in the 90s and I'm not doing a great job now, but I'm doing just as good if not better than when I spent more time and money. I refuse to  :willy_nilly:  and  :banghead:  and make myself  :ack2:  for nothing.

Yes, but no.

Those things must be taught, but not didactically.  The didactic portion of the lessons need to be extremely short and sweet.  The lion's share of the lesson must be spent working in real words, from real books, and/or from real thoughts of the student.

I really wrestle with whether the phonographs need to be taught to ALL students. I've been studying Hegge and Kirk, and how most of the non O-G programs I like are all based off of Hegge and Kirk. http://donpotter.net/pdf/remedial_reading_drills.pdf

Don Potter has developed phonograms for many of the Hegge and Kirk based curricula and those curricula already all do teach the 44/45 sounds in English. So I don't need to use O-G and frequency lists instead of word families to cover this list.

http://www.donpotter.net/pdf/flesch_phonograms.pdf

http://www.donpotter.net/pdf/alpha-phonics_phonograms.pdf

The spelling rules, more and more, I'm realizing are just too advanced for many of my students to use and to apply. Copying tables of similar words all demonstrating the rules helps more than hearing the rule. For some students I think the spelling rules are about equal with algebra.

I find this list interesting, though.

I really wrestle with whether the phonographs need to be taught to ALL students. I've been studying Hegge and Kirk, and how most of the non O-G programs I like are all based off of Hegge and Kirk. http://donpotter.net/pdf/remedial_reading_drills.pdf

Don Potter has developed phonograms for many of the Hegge and Kirk based curricula and those curricula already all do teach the 44/45 sounds in English. So I don't need to use O-G and frequency lists instead of word families to cover this list.

http://www.donpotter.net/pdf/flesch_phonograms.pdf

http://www.donpotter.net/pdf/alpha-phonics_phonograms.pdf

The spelling rules, more and more, I'm realizing are just too advanced for many of my students to use and to apply. Copying tables of similar words all demonstrating the rules helps more than hearing the rule. For some students I think the spelling rules are about equal with algebra.

I find this list interesting, though.

Have you looked through Dancing Bears materials?  I think DB gets the balance between didactic vs real reading right for remedial and struggling students. Only, the reading material in the book is awful.  The first link in your post...I think I could print, write my own directions, and use similarly to DB for a student I'm tutoring...not quite ready for FT.

The drill portion of the lesson should be no more than 10 minutes.  Truly, this part of learning to read is better done through little games and snatches of time here and there from ages 3-6. Point out the word "moon" in Goodnight Moon and find the double O, the double O says /oo/ in the word moon...then for the next 3 days the 4yo is pointing out Double O in books, on signs, etc... And he has learned a phonogram without learning it.

The reading material needs to be real.  "The cat sat on the mat." is insulting.  Charlotte Mason gets this one right.  Write a sentence (from a real book) on paper, cut the words apart.  Study the words briefly (underline multi-letter phonograms, draw a line between syllables, write the root on the board, explain where the silent e went, etc).  Have the student put the sentence back together and read it aloud. Use that sentence for copywork or dictation.

Using real reading material will naturally give a spiraling review, and cover the most common words with the most detail.  It will also force the teacher/student to use more than just the standard phonograms/rules/drill in lessons.  Visualization is almost completely left out of the equation as a less than academic tool, but that is foolish.   Visualizing the word "face" in order to spell it, before the explanation of that c & silent e, creates curiosity (which is the glue for random facts) and plants the word firmly in the memory faster and more effectively than giving a list of words with similar pattern.  (face, pace, mace...)

Put "face" on a card.  Ask the child to see it.  Turn the card over and ask the child to close their eyes and trace the letters that they see in their mind with their finger.  Say the letters aloud.  Now write.  Now explain the -ce and think for words that are similar.  Go back to reading & writing the real source.

Is Dancing Bear different than Reading Bear?

http://www.donpotter.net/education_pages/flesch_audio.html

Reading Bear

Larry Sanger, the co-founder of Wikipedia, has headed up a team of experts to produce a sophisticated and powerful version of Flesch's phonics exercises. The program is called Reading Bear. i have produced a Scope & Sequence, Collation with Flesch, and Table of Contents: Reading Bear Scope & Sequence

Hunter, 

Have you ever really tried SWR with students?  Just curious.....

I am sticking with what is in the CC bookstore plus some great drawing books and Hey Andrew for Greek.  

P.S. I decided to rotate different read aloud focus on different days.  I basically know what I will be reading from on every day except literature/poetry day.  I need to pull out the list again that you sent.....I am thinking about Amelia Bedelia books for my little girls, Adventures of the Northwoods for my second grader (these are mysteries....he needs something to draw him in), and The Cricket in Times Square for my 5th grader.  I'm still reading Laddie here and there to my oldest.  I LOVE that book.

http://www.donpotter.net/education_pages/flesch_audio.html

Reading Bear

Larry Sanger, the co-founder of Wikipedia, has headed up a team of experts to produce a sophisticated and powerful version of Flesch's phonics exercises. The program is called Reading Bear. i have produced a Scope & Sequence, Collation with Flesch, and Table of Contents: Reading Bear Scope & Sequence

Dancing Bears

All of the Bear books are for teaching reading. Fast Track and Book C are the books I have.  Those 10-15 minutes of reading lessons are as didactic as I'm going to get when I have the chance to do this again (when baby girl is big stuff).

Have you ever really tried SWR with students?  Just curious.....

I'm not Hunter, but...

I used SWR for 2.5 years. My oldest (dyslexic) did not transfer the skill of spelling into reading at.all! Because he wasn't reading, the spelling only stuck for a short while. It was a TON of work with little pay-off. He did remember the phonograms well, which helped as we moved on.

I studied that stupid red manual cover-to-cover...multiple times...I HAD to be doing it wrong. I found other Spalding and O-G resources to study, to try. I found that I wasn't doing it wrong, but the method left out a critical component in learning to read. Most kids will naturally and spontaneously read after learning to spell in such detail. Mine, however, was one of the few that would not. 

That missing component is the focused and explicit work of simultaneously training the eye to track and respond with sound to the phonogram seen. Some kids REALLY need this sort of help. Dancing Bears does it beautifully, phonetically, morphemically (I think I made up that word.), and FAST.

That said, my dd (who was only 3yo at the time) learned to read very well by simply eaves dropping in on her brother's SWR lessons. So SWR works well for those it works for at all. 

Back to the original topic:  For my dyslexic child, just learning the 180 tools is NOT enough. Reading is a *skill*, and just like I can't become a carpenter by simply buying a hammer...I can't become a reader by simply gaining the tools.  There are bright students who can acquire the tools quickly, watch someone else do it a few times, and figure it out on their own. Figuring it out on their own is exactly what SWR/Spalding/O-G strives to prevent...but ironically leaves a gaping hole to leap over at the finish line.

That said, I still have the Wise Guide on the shelf...and my WRTR manual...and my dc are going to have copies of the SWR spelling rules/phonograms in their school binders to reference. However, all of mine (except baby) will be doing spelling ala CM through copywork & dictation.

Oh, Hunter...while on the Dancing Bears website, check out Apples & Pears spelling. You can look through the entire books. The process is pure genius. It would be the closest thing to CM in a workbook if it would only culminate in quality literature selections for dictation rather than nonsensical made up sentences.

• 2 weeks later...

Dancing Bears

All of the Bear books are for teaching reading.

Uh, I don't think Dancing Bear and Reading Bear are the same. DB is a UK-based  for-profit company, right? RB is US-based and the materials appear to be free (at least for now).

That said, 4blessingmom, thanks for the helpful info in your post. That bit about left-to-right tracking with sound, is that called phonemic awareness?