Menu

Adding a stair railing to the front porch

DawnM

I apologize for all the home improvement questions.

We have a wrap around porch and the stairs to get up to it are brick (porch is wood).

The stairs have no railing and when we moved in, it apparently was not a problem.  But in the 9 years we have lived here, the rules have changed and we can't sell it without adding a railing.

Can you buy railings already sized and where do you get them/order them?.  What kind?  Wood?  Wrought Iron?  Other (please state).

THANK YOU!

Dawn

I can't do it myself.  DH says he doesn't have time.

So, it will have to be hired out.

I thought maybe I could order them pre-cut.  If they are iron, DH could install them.  If they are wood I don't mind painting them and DH installing, but someone else will have to make them.  Dh doesn't have time.

Dawn

I would try a good lumber yard.

are there railings on the wrap around porch?  I would try to go with something esthetically similar. 

Yes, you can purchase pre-made railings at places like Lowes and Home Depot. Both for the porch and for stairs. They will have metal and wood. We did a wrap around porch and the rail of a long wheelchair ramp up the side with the wooden ones. Depending on how much you need, it can actually be much more cost effective as it is much less labor-intensive.

Premade for stairs?  I don't see it on their website, that is one reason I am asking.

The porch has railing.  We just need it for the stairs.  

Yes, you can purchase pre-made railings at places like Lowes and Home Depot. Both for the porch and for stairs. They will have metal and wood. We did a wrap around porch and the rail of a long wheelchair ramp up the side with the wooden ones. Depending on how much you need, it can actually be much more cost effective as it is much less labor-intensive.

Premade for stairs? I don't see it on their website, that is one reason I am asking.

The porch has railing. We just need it for the stairs.

Yes, everything from just a banister and posts, to a full rail system. Depending on the stairs, as in whether they are 'regular' spaced, you might have to install the stringer set first. Kind of like an upside-down version of what the stairs themselves (the treads) are laid upon. That provides a flat surface to install the rails/banister system on.

Do you have a picture? I can help pin down where to go...