Menu

Quick Question about SM

So I am wanting to use SM for DS this year.  I ordered just the kinder workbooks thinking I could check them out and if they were too easy I could later use them for DD.  The problem is I let DS see them without me specifically teaching him with these books he has basically finished them in 2 days.  So now I am looking to order 1A and 1B.  A friend said I should order the workbooks and textbooks and watch videos online for how to teach if I need to.  What else if anything should I get?  I don't want to spend tons since he will probably fly through it, but don't want to skimp on something important either.  He currently has done Math U See Primer, Alpha, and working on Beta if that helps any.

Thanks in advance!

Leslie

http://www.singaporemath.com/Primary_Math_s/21.htm

I like the Standards edition.

Minimum IMO is text, WB, and Home Instructors Guide.

I also really liked Intensive Practice and Challenging Word Problems...although starting with Miquon and Cuisinaire rods may be best....the hands on in Miquon was really neat and the .cuisinaire rods go nicely towards bar models.

I wouldn't skip the HIG if you aren't familiar with the Singapore method. We use the HIG, the TB, the IP, and the CWP (when we get to the CWP--I have a SLOW worker). **Edit--Since I haven't used the lower levels, I can't comment on the HIG for those.

My older one came home in third, so we started in level 3 with Singapore. After the first year, we found the IP books. We now skip the workbooks and do the IP instead. It works well. The younger kiddo used MUS Primer for preschool, and then we moved into Miquon. We use Singapore's CWP, and I am trying to figure out if I want to add the IP. I know that Miquon and SM have different sequences, and he does like the CWP quite a lot.

Either way, if you need to round out some area or another, you might find some good stuff on the free Education Unboxed site.