Menu

Trying to figure out what to do for 5th grade history.

We used K12 History Odyssey.  Textbook but not "textbooky".  There are study guides to go with it but I didn't find them necessary.  Another option that I like is Connect the Thoughts. It has all the text, discussion/writing questions, and some projects too.  You have 2 options with CTT. Lower school or upper school.  If your DC are good readers/writers the upper should be fine (recommended 11 and up). You can start with the lower school and when they are ready, transition easily to upper school.  One of the best things about CTT is that is is very neutral when it comes to religion(must be old earth, no give on that really).  I didn't perceive any real bias, the author often asks "what do you think" or "why do you think they did this/that".  There are some samples on the website but in the end I just had to give it a try to rally see the full benefit.

We also use OUP but more as a supplement, especially their book that has source documents. 

We will be doing History Odyssey Level 2 Ancients from Pandia Press.  My dd started it last year "for fun on the side" and loves that it can be very much student-directed.  And because it is more of a curriculum guide than a curriculum in itself, it is easy to plug in other resources where you want.  And it includes some great literature, which is a bonus.

I decided on The World in Ancient Times series. My son has really enjoyed reading them. They are all from our library. He has to write 6 interesting things he learned about for each chapter. Not quite ready for more than that. He is a history lover. Not sure what to do for medieval yet.