Menu

Another Homeschooling in South America thread

We have friends who are missionaries in South America and one of their jobs is to provide support for a number of homeschooling families in their church. One of their biggest challenges is finding resources and curriculum for the families, who are all Spanish-speaking nationals. Shipping curriculum there apparently is not feasible. A few of them have internet access, and I asked them if they could use websites with the "translate this page" option, but they said the translation is usually too poor quality. 

I mentioned the Charlotte Mason approach of using real books for LA, but they feel the parents would be far too intimidated to be that inventive. They really need something open-and-go.

Anyone have ideas or leads?

I'd use the national textbooks. They're usually very inexpensive and follow the national curriculum. Depending on the country, the kids will have to pass tests at certain intervals in order to obtain qualifications. Without the qualifications, they will not be able to attend university or get many jobs in their country. Unless they plan to go abroad for university (and have the money to do that), they'll be condemned to menial work at near to starvation wages without their bachillerato.

Unless these missionaries are very sure that they can guarantee these kids an education that will allow them to pass the equivalency tests (the math and science tests are notoriously difficult in Venezuela) they are doing them a grave disservice in encouraging their parents to homeschool. I don't say that lightly. Unless they have a plan to prepare these kids to pass the equivalency test or found a school that can legally award their bachillerato, they'd be better off in an existing b&m school.

The national textbooks are what they have been using, and they are less than impressed. They say that the education there is pretty ineffective. Recently our friend gave a middle-school-level math problem to some high school and uni grads, and they all had difficulty with it.

We didn't discuss testing though, so I cannot speak to that. Thank you for your thoughts.

The national textbooks are what they have been using, and they are less than impressed. They say that the education there is pretty ineffective. Recently our friend gave a middle-school-level math problem to some high school and uni grads, and they all had difficulty with it.

Depending on what they studied in university and how long it's been since they studied middle school math, I'm not surprised. How many moms on this board need help once they get to middle school math because they don't remember it or never really mastered it?

Probably 2 years ago, I read a thread, somewhere, about something I believe was based in Costa Rica. I believe their courses are in Spanish. Sadly, I have just given you all of the information that I remember... I believe this was run by a missionary group there. I'm not  positive that it was in Costa Rica. 

• 1 month later...

I know this thread is over a month old (don't know how I missed it), but I wanted to add a few things.

We didn't discuss testing though, so I cannot speak to that. Thank you for your thoughts.

After living in Mexico for quite a few years, I came to learn that the good schools used the national curriculum along with heavy supplementation. In many Latin American countries, some of these books are required and even provided for free. Things that I saw schools add...

Copy work

Dictation

Poem memorization

Math fact drills at home

Reading outside of class

All these things can be done at home and inexpensively. As someone up thread mentioned, MEP is very good and available in Spanish. The approach is very different so using it in addition to the National curriculum would be a good idea, if testing is required. Most likely, this is the case. In addition, are at can look into what books are used at the local private schools.

In addition, you can google escuela en casa. When I last checked, there was an active group in Argentina and even an online school in Spanish. There was also a homeschooling forum for parents on Spain. It was a couple years ago when I was googling, but there should be plenty of info out there. I was even able to find sone videos of families on youtube.

HTH

I'd use the national textbooks. They're usually very inexpensive and follow the national curriculum. Depending on the country, the kids will have to pass tests at certain intervals in order to obtain qualifications. Without the qualifications, they will not be able to attend university or get many jobs in their country. Unless they plan to go abroad for university (and have the money to do that), they'll be condemned to menial work at near to starvation wages without their bachillerato.

Unless these missionaries are very sure that they can guarantee these kids an education that will allow them to pass the equivalency tests (the math and science tests are notoriously difficult in Venezuela) they are doing them a grave disservice in encouraging their parents to homeschool. I don't say that lightly. Unless they have a plan to prepare these kids to pass the equivalency test or found a school that can legally award their bachillerato, they'd be better off in an existing b&m school.

+1 for this.  Here in Colombia, the children graduate after 11th grade. The national examination is called ICFES. It is very tough and it is make or break if someone wants to attend one of the best universities. Usually, those are the Public universities, which are also the least expensive.  There are some good Private universities here too.