Menu

Kindle - is there a way to hide my book from the recent list?

Tranquility7

I share my Kindle with my kiddos, but there are sometimes books I read that I'm not too keen on them seeing on the scrolling list that shows up on the main page with the most recently opened books, apps, etc. (sorry, I don't know the technical term for that list). (The books are nothing bad, btw, but for instance something on parenting or vacation possibilities or whatever... just stuff I don't want to discuss with them.  ;))

I am using the Kindle Free Time accounts for them, but there are a couple of things they can only do on my account, so that is why that scrolling list has become a problem.  Is there any way to prevent a particular book from ever appearing on that list?

I don't know if there's a way to prevent that, but when I've bought things I don't want on the kids' Kindles, as soon as I purchase it, I take their Kindles and delete it from their list.

I've had the same issue with Audible. As far as I know, there's no way to keep it from at least showing up in cloud for all the devices under one account. But at least you can delete it from the main scrolling list.

Once you've finished the book you can delete it from the device but not from the cloud unless you want it permanently removed from your account. Deleting it from the device means it will only show up if you click on 'cloud'.  You can also choose 'remove from carousel' which will take it off the main page but leave will it on the device under whatever heading it belongs. You have to do that every time you use the app or read the book though.

I don't know if there's a way to prevent that, but when I've bought things I don't want on the kids' Kindles, as soon as I purchase it, I take their Kindles and delete it from their list.

I've had the same issue with Audible. As far as I know, there's no way to keep it from at least showing up in cloud for all the devices under one account. But at least you can delete it from the main scrolling list.

Hmmm, but we only have *one* Kindle.  I can remove the books from their FreeTime accounts, but the problem is when they are using my account (which is sometimes necessary).  I don't really mind if it is in the cloud list, since they don't go there.  But they *always* use the scrolling recently opened list on the main page.  I want to delete it from that list on my own account, and then when I want to open the book I will find it under the Books tab instead.

Once you've finished the book you can delete it from the device but not from the cloud unless you want it permanently removed from your account. Deleting it from the device means it will only show up if you click on 'cloud'.  You can also choose 'remove from carousel' which will take it off the main page but leave will it on the device under whatever heading it belongs. You have to do that every time you use the app or read the book though.

Ahhh, carousel - that is what it is called.  Yes, I just want to remove it from that, not delete it from my Kindle.  Just googled it now with the proper term and found my answer.  Thanks!!

I guess you could delete it from the carousel (thanks...I'd forgotten, too!) each time you're done with it, or before you hand it to the kiddos. That seems like a lot of hassle, though, so I understand what you mean. Sorry. Maybe someone else will have a better idea.

My solution to this problem was to put my books in categories, and to set the Kindle to category view. The kids could still open the "House" folder and see what I've been reading, but I don't really think they're that motivated.