Menu

Random question for folks in Eastern WA

Mostly Cle Elum and Ellensburg area really...

I am looking for some farms -- fruit farms in that general area that sell to the general public -- peaches, tomatoes and maybe apples. Maybe a nice small family farm to help support the local economy (gasp!). I am looking for them cheap (50 cents a pound or less). I can even pick the fruit, bring my own boxes whatever. The prices on this side of the mountains are so elevated and silly! "Only 1.49 a pound for Yakima peaches".. I realize gas is up but I was thinking I could drive out there, stop off at a favorite water slide and call it a "vacation". I realize this is a long shot. Thanks for the help.

WOW! What a nice thing to see on the board! In which of the above mentioned communities do you dwell? :) I'm in Ellensburg.

WELL. The only thing I can think of initially is there's been a lady from Selah at the Farmer's Market the last couple of years who sold *organic* things in the price ranges you mentioned. Her business is called Sonshine Farms. We haven't been able to make it down there the last several weekends, so I do not know if she is here this year. I have her business card and I called to leave a message with her, but have not heard back so I have a feeling she's not selling here this year; if she IS back, I have no idea if she will still sell at such low prices considering how everything has gone up.

She sold organic apples -- several varieties -- for $20/box which worked out to about .50/lb. I would buy about 10 boxes every fall. We've also bought peaches and pears from her.

Last year we bought peaches and nectarines from someone in the Yakima River canyon for pretty inexpensively; those weren't organic I don't believe. But good prices. I haven't seen their ad in the paper this year.

A final thought is the Azure Standard co-op that is delivered here once a month, out of Oregon. Not sure if you are interested b/c of the info. in your post, just thought I'd put it out there. Their prices are decent, not cheap. I just got organic mangoes for $1.25 each, and their carrots are less than the store's prices to be sure.

PM or email me if you want!