Menu

Please talk me into/out of Song School Spanish

I have a 1st grader and a 4th grader this year and they would both like to learn Spanish. They have already had a tiny amount of Spanish instruction from a native speaker at our Montessori co-op. Unfortunately, that's done, so I'm on my own. I do not speak Spanish. I had a year of Spanish in high school and we all know how useful that is! (Anyway, it was a million years ago and anything I did learn is long gone.) I know Song School Spanish is a little young for my 4th grader. But she's a little on the young side maturity and age wise, and she's usually game for anything. What do you think? And if you don't think so, can you think of something better.

Thanks for all the help.

Teresa

Go for it. SSP looks like a great way to get your feet wet. :)

I will only caution, with that age spread, I would let the older one go at a faster speed if needed/wanted. When skill levels are that far apart the older can feel like they're being babied. (Ask me how I know. :P ) If the 4th finishes early but still isn't ready for Spanish for Children you might look at The Fun Spanish.

I am purchasing it this year for my third and K boys.  It looks like a fun, engaging program that will keep them interested in learning, and learning through song works really well in my house (which is why we use SSRW, Shurley jingles, math songs, etc.)  We were initially thinking we would do Latin with my oldest, but he really wants to learn Spanish.  We will also be moving closer to the southern border where it will definitely be useful.  Plus I read from a few Latin teachers than starting in middle school would be fine for Latin.  Most students who have Latin instruction at younger ages show little difference with those that start studying it in middle school.  However, I felt that Spanish was a spoken language that my young ones would benefit from hearing at an earlier age, especially in fun song and games, and we can do Latin later.

My only caveat...make sure you have a cd player with headphones so that when your kid wants to listen to the disc for the 10th time in a row for the 10th day in a row the rest of you will not bang your heads on the wall...

Ha! So keep the ibuprophen handy. Good to know!