Menu

Cursive for older kids who want to develop beautiful handwriting

IfIOnly

My oldest two want to have beautiful handwriting like that of our nation's "founding fathers".  They completed HWT cursive a few year ago and are wanting more calligraphy (I think) like writing instruction now.  I'd love to hear your suggestions.  Thanks in advance!

I learned calligraphy cursive in Catholic school. As much as I hated it then, they insisted we use fountain pens. It helped more than anything else in learning how to make the writing flow. We had to use them for everything and were only allowed four blotches. More than four was a failing assignment. It got expensive initially with the cost of replacement cartridges, but quickly I learned not to choke the pen.

I still use the cursive, even in everyday writing. My son likes how it looks, so those are the letters I am showing him. He gets his fountain pen in sixth grade when I am going to start requiring more things hand written.

I do not know of any curriculum. In school it was just a lot of copy work. This is the closest I could find. A couple of my lower case are different, but the uppercase are all right on:

http://design.tutsplus.com/articles/mastering-calligraphy-how-to-write-in-cursive-script--vector-25716

I learned calligraphy cursive in Catholic school. As much as I hated it then, they insisted we use fountain pens. It helped more than anything else in learning how to make the writing flow. We had to use them for everything and were only allowed four blotches. More than four was a failing assignment. It got expensive initially with the cost of replacement cartridges, but quickly I learned not to choke the pen.

I still use the cursive, even in everyday writing. My son likes how it looks, so those are the letters I am showing him. He gets his fountain pen in sixth grade when I am going to start requiring more things hand written.

I do not know of any curriculum. In school it was just a lot of copy work. This is the closest I could find. A couple of my lower case are different, but the uppercase are all right on:

http://design.tutsplus.com/articles/mastering-calligraphy-how-to-write-in-cursive-script--vector-25716

That is beautiful. Those are the first fancy uppercase letters that are both that efficient and fancy at the same time. And I've seen a LOT of hands. Very nice! Don Potter's handwriting instructions will mostly work with those lowercase letters.