Menu

Dolciani / AoPs Algebra - chapter schedule?

I think I've seen this somewhere... does someone have a chapter by chapter comparison teaming up Dolciani Algebra Structure and Method Book 1 and AoPs Intro to Algebra?

Anyone?

Thanks!

Hi Mirabillis,

I've created an Algebra 1 S&S matrix which compares them.  I'm not sure if this is what you're referring to?   

I've got a 1985 Dolciani all ready to go. We're in our last 3-4 lessons this week in Pre-A. I picked up the AoPs as well, so I think we'll go that direction. No use opening more wormholes to travel down. Thanks for the spreadsheet - that's what I was thinking of. Now to see how to combine it all - we'll see next year!

I've been meaning to ask - how long do you plan to do Algebra? 1 year or more - so for his 7th grade year? What is your plan for middle/high school years? Any idea how the local middle/high schools compare?

I actually wanted to spend more time on Algebra 1 as it provides the basis for higher level math to follow. I was torn whether to spend a full two years on it or not and left that decision in suspended judgement until I saw how Luke did with AoPS. We spent all 7th grade on AoPS which he is just finishing now (Ch. 14).  

Now upon reflection as we wrap AoPS up I've determined I want to spend the Summer reviewing Algebra 1.  While AoPS provided great challenge we both agree he needs more practice with the fundamentals.  Since students spend so much time wresting over difficult problems they get less overall practice in more standard algebraic reasoning if that makes any sense.  So that is where our Summer review comes in and we'll use TabletClass which he used for Pre-A and really liked.  I plan to hit the highlights of that course over the Summer and go deeper when/where necessary.

To be quite honest I was fully prepared to spend two years in Algebra 1, especially since Luke is young.  But I think after the Summer review he will be ready to start Geometry in the Fall.  I have registered him in Wilson Hill Academy's Geometry course which uses the Jergensen text.  There are at least five kids from TWTM families signed up for that class next Fall:  http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/515803-wilson-hill-academy-geometry/?do=findComment&comment=5699038.  

So we'll finish middle school with WHA.  For 9th grade I'm tentatively planning to outsource Algebra 2 to Derek Owens or WHA.  But I want to wait and see how things go in 8th grade first.  This will be his first real outsourced course.  Beyond that (Algebra 2) we are looking to utilize MPC dual enrollment for many High School/College courses including some math and sciences.  Of course this plan is subject to change.  We will most likely use a combination of outsourced classes and CC dual enrollment.  I'm just not sure of the mix yet.  We have homeschool friends who are doing this now with their high school kids and are really liking it. 

I've got a 1985 Dolciani all ready to go. We're in our last 3-4 lessons this week in Pre-A. I picked up the AoPs as well, so I think we'll go that direction. No use opening more wormholes to travel down. Thanks for the spreadsheet - that's what I was thinking of. Now to see how to combine it all - we'll see next year!

I've been meaning to ask - how long do you plan to do Algebra? 1 year or more - so for his 7th grade year? What is your plan for middle/high school years? Any idea how the local middle/high schools compare?

Mirabillis,

We are doing to prealgebra this fall. Did you write up a spreadsheet for that and if so, do you mind sharing? Any chance you have a teachers guide you'd like to sell?

Thanks,

Alycia

So we'll finish middle school with WHA.  For 9th grade I'm tentatively planning to outsource Algebra 2 to Derek Owens or WHA.  But I want to wait and see how things go in 8th grade first.  This will be his first real outsourced course.  Beyond that (Algebra 2) we are looking to utilize MPC dual enrollment for many High School/College courses including some math and sciences.  Of course this plan is subject to change.  We will most likely use a combination of outsourced classes and CC dual enrollment.  I'm just not sure of the mix yet.  We have homeschool friends who are doing this now with their high school kids and are really liking it. 

Derek, what is MPC dual enrollment?  

Mirabillis,

We are doing to prealgebra this fall. Did you write up a spreadsheet for that and if so, do you mind sharing? Any chance you have a teachers guide you'd like to sell?

Thanks,

Alycia

We did not find a TG - so we went with the text alone, doing only the odd problems. It worked out fine. The lesson at the start of each chapter was sufficient enough for teaching all the problems. We got hung up maybe once or twice. But I did find Alg I with Solutions Manual for next year, 1985 version. So we'll see if that helps us more.

For Pre-A, we ended up just doing Dolciani. Not AoPs at all (though we have it). But someone does have a great spreadsheet of that through Chap 5 or so, that I saved.

AoPS-Dolciani.pdf

Gotcha!  I thought it must be something like that, but since I'm in CA too, I wanted to make sure there wasn't some magic, secret thing I didn't know about!   ;)

Our local is SRJC - we have the same plans to use it that you do!  :D

Rose, if you are in CA then you may also be interested in Santa Barbara City College.  It offers some of the best online courses in the state.  SBCC is also one of the top rated CCs in the nation.  So you could take full advantage of their courses as well.