Menu

What do I do with beef broth?

Katy

In my last bundle from the butcher I got a lot of soup bones.  I followed a recipe I found online and roasted them with vegetables, put them in two crock pots with spices, water, a little red wine and a little vinegar and simmered for 36 hours until the broth reduced and the bones were soft.  I chilled it, scraped the fat and now I've got about 5 cups of beef flavored gelatin.

So, real food enthusiasts...  What do I do with it now?  What are your favorite recipes for beef broth?

beef broth makes wonderful french onion soup or gazpacho - these would be my top choices :)

If you find you don't like the taste of the broth you might be able to use it for deer and critter repellent

They use a 'bone sauce' to spray on fruit trees to keep the deer, squirrels whatever away.  I have never done it but it is popular with the permaculture gardeners around here.

For a rich, first pass broth like that I prefer to use it only for soup.   I usually take those bones from the first pass and do another 24 hour simmer on them for broth that I use for rice, beans, etc.

Oops!  Already threw them out!