Menu

iPad apps

What are your favorites? I was thinking math drill/mathematical thinking but really looking for anything. Ds scored in the 13th percentile on the wisc for processing speed so I need something where the images don't move super fast or at least timing can be customized.

Thanks

Now see I would approach it the opposite way, looking for apps that push her working memory, attention, and processing speed.  :)  

SEGA has a really cool taxi driver app that would be good for that while being fun, not frustrating.

There's a penguin parachuting app, again for coordination and processing.

There's a cat app.  I don't have my iPad in front of me, but it's meant for cats to tap the flashing lights...  Have your kid do it instead of the cat.  :D

There's a dinosaur bbq app my ds is nuts for that would, again, cause her to focus and up her processing speed.

Some people have found IM can up extremely low processing speed, and you can get metronome apps for free to use with Heather's homework protocol.

But I guess you asked about math?  No clue for that, lol.  :)

Thanks for the suggestions!

Elizabeth, we tried an app today that I bought awhile ago (and I can't remember the name) but it was a no go. I think it's because he can't figure out 15+28 at the same time as little "meteorites" are falling down and there's time pressure. So I agree we have to push it, but not while trying to learn math problems.

Can you set that app only to do single digit addition and limit the range?  Does it have a pause button?  If it does, you could see the fact, pause it, give him time to think about the answer, then un-pause and play.  Do it together till he gets the hang of playing that way.  Some of those puzzles are just too fast for our kids.  There's a labyrinth style app I got (I forget the name) a while back that was just crazy fast, so what I did with ds was to take a screen shot of the puzzle, exit the app, look at the screen shot to solve it, THEN go back and start the app again.

Math Zombies was okay for my son with slow processing speed. I say "okay" because the speed was fine but he wasn't thrilled with the game. He has dyscalculia so it is hard to find any math game that he would enjoy. In the beginning he played it without prompting. Then he got stuck on a level and became frustrated - game over.

Lori