Menu

Apologia Physics as AP Physics?

DD & I are still hashing out her schedule for her upcoming junior year. 

She will most likely be taking AP Chemistry (PAHomeschoolers)-- She'd also like to take Physics this year. The PA Homeschoolers AP Physics prerequisites say she needs to have already taken Calculus, or be currently enrolled in Calculus. She will be taking Pre-Calc this year, so I don't think that will work. 

Now we're thinking of doing both the Apologia Physics and the Apologia Advanced Physics books in one year. The pre-req for Advanced Physics says that they need to have completed pre-calc... which she technically won't have completed, but will be halfway through by the time she begins the Adv. Physics book...

Has anyone used the Apologia books and then taken the AP Physics exam?

The AP Physics B exam won't be offered in 2014-15 as it's being replaced, so I don't believe anyone will have any experience with it. I assume that's the one she would be taking as she doesn't yet have calculus.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/48373-apologia-physics-and-apsatii-prep/

That thread seems relevant but with the exam being split into two and covering more information the whole test situation is obviously quite different.

A few random thoughts.  

This next year I have decided to go with old AP Physics like content but not prep for the new AP Physics 1 or 2 exam.  This is for a child that is not likely to be a STEM major.

My first child just graduated with an EE degree.  He did very well in college including all A's in Math and Physics courses.  He had Apologia Physics his junior year and we tried Apologia Advanced Physics his senior year.   We did not like the Advanced Apologia Physics.  I do not think it was as well done as the regular book.  He hated it so much that he even began to think that he was headed for the wrong major.  I salvaged the year by having him watch the Lewin MIT course.  He absolutely loved calc based physics in college. 

Based on this, if I had to do it over again with a STEM aimed child, I would (continue to ) work on making the math skills really strong and I would work on enjoying and understanding algebra based physics.  I would try to get AP credits in non major classes so that my child would have more time for engineering electives in college.  I would also continue to get them Calc 1 their senior year.  We did that at a CC the last semester senior year and he also thought that helped him in college physics because he was in Calc 3 and Physics while many of his classmates were in Calc 2 and physics.  He felt it gave him an understanding advantage.

Apologia Physics was what I was able to do for my first and it was beneficial to him.  He said that in college it helped that he had prior exposure to physics, but also I think he said that the college course is taught with no prior physics knowledge assumed.  

Kendall 

My took AP Chemistry last year with PA Homeschoolers (and LOVED it), and also took AP Physics B with PA Homeschoolers (again, he really enjoyed it.  He will be taking AP Physics next year).

I would persoannly not attempt the AP Physics 1 or 2 exam nex year because of the change.  It semmed like the year AP Biology changed, many people were disappointed with their scores (I THINK only about 5% of the students that took the exam earned a 5)

What I might suggest, if you want to show academic rigor, is have her take the SAT II physics test.  Be aware the the curves on these tests tend to be high because many kids that take AP tests also take the corresponding SAT II test (this is what my son has done), but I also think it is possible to do well on the SAT II without taking an AP class.  If I did  this option, I would look at the syllabus on the College Board site and make sure she covers all the topics she would need.  There are many OCW courses you could utilize.

Also realize that even if she were to take AP Physics, many colleges do not accept algebra based physics for credit.  So while I think the AP Physcis B (or 1 & 2) classes show rigor, the physics classes will not give her credit at many schools (but some schools will).

I agree with Kendall that it would be nice to gain AP credit in those areas that will not be a major, but I also think it is tough to get a child to take an AP course in the area they are not passionate about.  My son will have about 3 AP courses in his non-major area, but will have 7 in his intended major area.  However, he will not transfer all of those credits to college.  I encourage AP for academic rigor, not for college credit :001_smile: .

Blessings,

Michelle