Menu

Planning high school math and need help

Hi, I am new to this site. I found it while resaerching for high school as my oldest will be a freshman next year! I am wondereing what you all do for math. I think I have decided on using the Math Without Boarders CDs with Foerster's book but I see that there are 5 years worth and I only have 4 years of high school. I am thinking that we should have started Algebra 1 in 8th grade in order to get through to Calculus. It is too late for that now, but I want my son to be prepared for college. Do colleges need to see Calculus on his transcript or is pre-calc. enough? How do I cram that much math into 4 years? Thanks

My son loves Derek Owens math and wants to take calculus in his junior year instead of senior.  So he is squeezing the Derek Owens self-paced classes and working over the summer to make it happen.  He is very motivated, and Derek Owens is very user friendly, so it's not too painful for him.  As for colleges wanting to see calculus on the transcript, my Dd will be going to college this year.  As we visited campuses, we heard over and again (especially from the more highly ranked colleges) that what they want to see from applicants is rigorous high school course work - even more so than high SAT scores.  Does your student want to study a STEM field?  If so, calculus in high school is a definite plus.

If your student is settled on a humanities degree (doubtful at that young age) then challenging courses along those lines may do the trick.  My kids had no clue about what they liked studying in early high school though.  So much development is going on mentally during those early high school years. 

Bottom line, you can fit five math courses in if it's a priority for you.  If not, your student can pick up calculus in CC or college if needed.

Welcome, airforcewife!

Yes, a lot will depend on your child's goals and how selective a college he or she wishes to attend.

My daughter did the following progression:

8th grade: Lial's Beginning Algebra
9th grade: Harold Jacobs' Geometry (2nd edition)
10th grade: Lial's Intermediate Algebra
11th grade: College Algebra and Trigonometry at the local community college using Sullivan's Precalculus
12th grade: AP Statistics through PA Homeschoolers

She recently graduated from a fairly selective liberal arts college where she majored in Latin and minored in Geology.

I (not she) was vaguely regretful that she did not take Calculus as she had to forgo taking several Geology classes which had a Calculus prerequisite; however, she commented several times that she was grateful for having taken Statistics as that knowledge has been useful.  In fact, she named Statistics as one of the two most valuable classes she took in high school.

Regards,
Kareni

I am not a fan of cramming math.  It is more important to truly learn Algebra, Geometry and Trig.

My HS Suggestion:

Freshman -  Algebra 1

Sophomore -  Geo

Junior -  Algebra 2 and Trig

Senior year -  PreCalc topics first semester

-   Calculus second semester ( possible dual enrollment at a CC if first semester was an A)

Many moons ago, I started 9th grade in Algebra 1.  I took Pre-Calculus over the summer before my senior year so that I could take Calculus senior year.

That said, I don't think Calculus is necessary in high school.  It may be helpful for a STEM major, but I still don't think it's necessary.

FWIW, I have a degree in math.

The most important thing is to get algebra down solid as that is where many kids falter in the future. I'm not sure how colleges look at calculus, but I wouldn't rush to get there. I might push ahead and you can combine geometry with algebra 2 if you want, but don't rush through those early topics just to get to harder math.

If he really wants to get thru Calculus in High school, I would plan on Alg 1 for 9th grade, Geometry and Alg 2 for 10th, Precalc/Trig for 11th and Calc for 12th.  This is a pretty common path for high school students here (doubling up in 10th grade).

Having a good solid year of Algebra 1 mastered is important to later success.