Menu

WRTR question

What is the difference between the websites Spalding.org and the Riggs Institute?

I am new to WRTR (but have used another O-G based program)...  Riggs Institute says they use WRTR.  I ordered the 4th ed of WRTR as suggested by Ellie and Hunter elsewhere for another poster.  My library doesn't have a copy or I would have tried that avenue first.

Looking at the phonogram cards, Riggs sells their own set of cards?  How are they different from the ones purchased from Spalding?  I ask because a reviewer on Amazon was very emphatic that a set of cards up for sale were not WRTR cards but Riggs but didn't really specify what the differences were.

Do both companies' cards include instructions for letter formation on the back?

I printed lots of interesting articles from Riggs...

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me.

There is the older Riggs and the newer Riggs. They are not the same. When WRTR 4th went OOP, Riggs wrote their own stand alone curriculum and the author died soon after. It was a HUGE update, and the author died before it could be tweaked and revised. Some of the explicit instructions don't work so well.

The new Riggs has 4 sounds for A and is closer to the Merriam-Webster dictionary. You cannot mix and match the new Riggs and any version of WRTR.

What is the difference between the websites Spalding.org and the Riggs Institute?

I am new to WRTR (but have used another O-G based program)...  Riggs Institute says they use WRTR.  I ordered the 4th ed of WRTR as suggested by Ellie and Hunter elsewhere for another poster.  My library doesn't have a copy or I would have tried that avenue first.

Looking at the phonogram cards, Riggs sells their own set of cards?  How are they different from the ones purchased from Spalding?  I ask because a reviewer on Amazon was very emphatic that a set of cards up for sale were not WRTR cards but Riggs but didn't really specify what the differences were.

Do both companies' cards include instructions for letter formation on the back?

I printed lots of interesting articles from Riggs...

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me.

If you want to teach Spalding, then you will want to totally disregard anything that has to do with Riggs--not that Riggs is bad or anything, only that it is *Riggs,* and not Spalding.

Instructions for letter formation are in the manual (Spalding is the method; WRTR is the manual for the Spalding Method), not on the backs of the phonogram cards.