Menu

Catholic Classical Curriculum

shmcath

I have been following WTM and 'Designing…Classical Curriculum. '

With three children - 7,5,3 - in the fall, I would like to use something with scripted lesson plans. 

Has anyone used Kolbe Academy, MODG or Seton?  Trying to see if anyone has any insight. 

I purchased Shurley English for Grammar level 2, and will begin that when I finish FLL2. I use the Seton English as supplement.  

I will probably have to purchase a few grade levels, as my 2nd grader is ahead in certain topics, but behind (b/c of Mommy) in others, like art, music, science and history (SOTW). 

Thank you in advance for your time and help!!!!

As I have been admonished - Seton is NOT classical education. It's traditional. I happen to do all Seton and I love it and find it a well rounded education and an amazing education in English Grammar. 

The people I know who want a classical education go more for Kolbe, but I have never used it myself.

What do you mean by "scripted" lesson plans? Do you mean how FLL tells the parent exactly what to say or do you mean just that the week/year is all planned out so you know what you need to do each day?

We did a little of MODG a couple of years ago. It was ok. I was just looking for something a little more rigorous. A little more challenging i guess you could say.

We have done Kolbe with our oldest this past year and loved it. It is hard. At least the way we were doing it - very few substitutions and following it to a T. I think we kinda did too much so we are backing off a little next year. I did sign him up for a few on-line classes but that is Jr. High so you have some time there :). My next 2 are also going to be doing Kolbe next year (4th and 6th grade) but we have substituted quite a bit (planning on using quite a bit of memoria press actually).

I was really inspired this year by a few of the threads talking about andrew kern, teaching from a state of rest. Really helped me focus as i planned for next year. Sarah MacKenzie has an amazing blog "amongst lovely things". Sorry can't link from my phone but google it. It is a blessing to read through. Truly.

No real experience with Seton other than buying a few books and realizing they were not for us.

With Kolbe, everything is planned out in incremental portions. We are enrolled in Kolbe for the first time (this fall, grades 5 & 9) so right now I am preparing for fall term. The younger grades are rich and full; by the time the students reach high school the curriculum is rigorous and challenging. I am using the online planner, Scholaric, to manage the Kolbe lessons. My kids do well with a daily task checklist which is possible with Scholaric. 

Kolbe is quite generous when it comes to substituting your own curricula, but I have to admit it is a big relief to use their books and lesson plans as-is and not have to come up with anything on my own. I am using the 5th grade plans entirely and making a few substitutions at the high school level.

A good friend of mine uses MODG and is very pleased with it. I looked into it but found that Kolbe was more affordable for families with a small number of children.