Menu

Fine Arts Elective

DS will be a senior next year and does not have any fine arts electives.  It seems that at least some of the schools he is considering would like to see that on the transcript.  Sadly (says the mom), he does not have a strong interest in the fine arts.   I am looking for creative ways to fulfill this requirement, perhaps over the summer.  He has mentioned an ever so slight interest in photography.   A self-paced, online course of some sort might work best, but I am certainly open to any suggestions!

Thanks!

I know absolutely nothing about these, but my dd is a photography buff and I had this bookmarked.  Maybe there will be something there you like.  List of free online photography lessons, courses, and tutorials.

Just in case you cannot find anything online you like:

The Great Courses has two lecture series on photography.  They are not on sale right now, but you could keep an eye out for sales or see if your local library has them:

Fundamentals of Photography

The Art of Travel Photography

Oak Meadow offers a syllabus for $25 for a photography class

My dd absolutely loved this DVD set from Amazon called "Jump Start Your Photography" .  It was clear-cut and fairly interesting.

I know absolutely nothing about these, but my dd is a photography buff and I had this bookmarked.  Maybe there will be something there you like.  List of free online photography lessons, courses, and tutorials.

Dd is currently enrolled on-campus in one of the digital photography classes mentioned in MtnTeaching's list. She would recommend it highly! Here are the lecture notes and the class website with more info and assignments for the 2014 version of the course. It seems like a reasonable amount of work, and it's paying off in better photos already. I don't have an SLR camera like she does, but she's convinced me to give the class a try this summer with my regular old Canon Powershot.

Other non-standard Fine Arts Electives:

- Film Appreciation (film history and film analysis)

- Theater Craft (backstage crew with friends + props & sets, for a summer youth/teen community theater)

- Filmmaking

- Digital Arts (learn/use visual software such as Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, or other)

- Animation

- Welding (when used for creating sculpture)

- Jewelry Making

- Stained Glass

- Glassblowing

- Fused Glass or Torchworking Glass arts

- Blacksmithing (a friend's DS did this as dual enrollment class for fine arts and made candlesticks, knives, etc.)

If Photography ends up as the Fine Arts of choice, then in addition to the resources listed by previous posters, our family can recommend the Fundamentals of Digital Photography and Photography Basics lecture series by John Greengo of Creative Live (free live streaming classes, or purchase/download recorded past classes) -- together, an outstanding beginning course to photography.

More ideas in this past thread: Photography credit?