Menu

First Form Latin after GSWL?

matrips

Has anyone used FFL after GSWL? Is it a good fit? Does it repeat same stuff or add to to it? New stuff? Workload similar or greatly different? Format?

Anything you can say about it would be appreciated. GSWL has been working well here, but we are almost done.

Thanks!

Someone just said on another thread they'd moved from GSWL to FFL with no problems.

They are different!! GSWL has a lot more translation & a lot less writing than FFL. Depending on how fast you've been going trough GSWL, you will find the writing amount to be higher at least. They try not to give you too much new at a time in FFL, but you do have new vocab  plus a new grammar *something* (new declension, new verb tense) in the same lesson - but it is spread over however many days you take to do the lesson (a week or more here).

ETA:  Here's the post I was thinking of. Someone else went straight from GSWL to Henle - next post down in the same thread. GSWL is just a GREAT intro. It is hard to figure out what to do next.  :coolgleamA:

They are definitely different. We actually first tried to go from GSwL to LfC A, but there wasn't enough work for each chapter for my boys. Given their grade level (5th and 7th), I took the advice to start FFL. It's visually much better for my oldest (clean, clutter free pages) and has five lessons/sections per chapter to practice the vocabulary/grammar. Plus there is a test after that. To me, GSwL gave them a foundation and familiarity with a lot of vocabulary as well as grammar, so as they are seeing it in FFL, it's not completely foreign to them. The way our timing has worked, we only go through the first five chapters and will restart in August (I'm going to make some review worksheets or something for the first couple weeks to go over what we did this year thus far). But I am happy with the transition and our time with GSwL. I plan on having my youngest son finish SSL next year along side of Prima Latina, and then do GSwL in 4th before starting FFL in 5th.