Menu

Need a good Physics book/program for 7th grade

I haven't used this either, but for 7th I'm having my son use John Hudson Tiner's Exploring the World of Physics. It's only one of three books he'll be doing so it wouldn't cover a whole year, but I paired it with a Thames and Kosmos physics kit and he is really really excited to start.

I'm in the same boat and have looked at:

Derek Owens Physical Science (also Derek Owens physics)

Concepts and Challenges in Physical Science

Conceptual Physical Science  (also Conceptual Physics)

There's also a ton of interesting supplementary materials that could be used for a great middle school course:

Horrible science (Fatal Forces etc...)

Story of Science (from a historical point of view)

How things work (and similar books)

Thames and Kosmos Milestones in science kit

Snap circuits and stuff on electricity

Guest DMom

I use Richard Feynman's Lectures in Physics (but I have a physics background and explain as we go) by reading aloud to my kids, followed by discussing the material, followed by working problems with them.

Another option to start your kid out might be "Six Easy Pieces - Essentials of Physics Explained by Its Most Brilliant Teacher" by Richard Feynman. The version we have is a book with accompanying cassette tapes that we picked up at a used book store for $5. The wonderful part about this set is that it explains physics without requiring any math knowledge, and the tapes are of Feynman himself talking at CalTech.

But as I said above, I really am a nerdy physics geek at heart!