Menu

Teaching Money Skills to Teens

Asking for a friend.

Special needs teenagers are still struggling to use money in real life and understand tax. IE why something is listed as $0.99 cannot be bought if they only have $1. 

The mom has spent years and years working with them on this, in real life situations, practicing at the table etc etc. They show some proficiency but they freak out and are unable to get it in real life situations. The boys are late teens and have various disabilities and delays. Mild autism, severe dyslexia, dyscalculia and so on. Mom is struggling to teach this life skill that her boys will need.

I have told my friend that this board is the place to get answers and information but she has found the forum to be very overwhelming. She is watching me write this so be nice!

Thanks so much! 

ETA: They have been through vision therapy and are getting therapy for auditory processing disorder. The family has limited financial resources so DIY suggestions are preferred. :)

Wow, hi to the lurking mom!  :)  I don't have a lot of great answers, but I could totally see my ds having trouble with that at some point because of what I think is going to turn out to be dyscalculia.  99 cents SOUNDS like a lot, kwim?  That's a really complex skill to round the 99 (which sounds really big!) and then add tax onto that.  Perhaps has she done it with paper money and a cash register?  Like tell them every time they see 97 or 99 that it is the store being sneaky and that they really mean $1?  Then play checkout games where they practice pay $1 bills plus 7 cents in various multiples?  So physically hand $1 and then 7 cents and then another $1 and another 7 cents and so on?  Maybe that would work?  If not, maybe a debit card?  If none of that applies, well then just consider it welcome to the board.  :)

Well good for her for persevering!!  I hope she figures out a solution.  

I don't have any been there done that experience, but had a couple thoughts. It sounds like she has done lots to help them acquire the skill, but for some reason they are having trouble with skill performance. It might be good to look at what other factors are going on at the store that maybe standing in the way of them using what she has taught. I just wondering if she thinks they are anxious about not having enough funds to buy what they want, or frustrated that they figure it should just be what the tag says, or the busy environment of the shop is too overwhelming etc...

It also maybe helpful to come up with some extra scaffolding and rule based ideas for them to use in the store so they can get a bit of confidence in doing it and then perhaps they will be able to start using what they already know. I was kinda thinking along the lines of having a little cheet sheet they can carry in their wallets that has one column titled the item you want is x dollars and the second column is so you will have to pay y. You could probably even make it an ID size card that you can laminate. I would also maybe really try to reinforce the amount of tax associated with each denomination of bill so that they can maybe visualize everytime they are going to use a $5 bill they know they need x to go with it.