Menu

where/how do YOU store your science supplies?

I used to keep my science supplies roughly organized by topic of study. I don't think that's working for me any longer. I'm looking for new ideas. We have accumulated a lot over the years. I'm still going to keep my earth science collection together and I'll still have a safety equipment box, but my house is overflowing with lab supplies, microscope slides and materials, and other goodies. How do I keep things easily accessible, safe from toddlers, and organized so that I can find things without emptying dozens of boxes?

We have a designated, extra deep science closet!

Shelves with Tupperware boxes, wire shelves on each side, and one of those transparent shoe hangers on the inside of the door.

I put in a shelf on drawer slides/wheels for the microscope so that it will pull out into a desk, and we installed a halogen light inside

Different shelves for life science, earth science, etc.

Larger specimen collections got a designated floor/ceiling bookcase in the library:)

If you have "real" :D chemicals, do you have a storage system for them?  Certain chemicals shouldn't be stored with other chemicals so an organized storage system that keeps them separate is a must.  We've had discussions on the HS Chem social group about how to store chemicals.  If anyone is interested or feels that it's a topic they need to look into, feel free to join the social group. :)

We seriously need a science closet. We have stuff in Mr 10's bedroom, stuff in our bedroom and stuff in the pantry, plus you will often see an experiment in progress stowed on top of our fridge. Oh and a little tank of artemia salina that Ms 5 is observing and looking after. I'd love to keep all the resources in one place. 

Toolboxes with locks.

And my son just asked me today to please find a better storage spot for the preserved, stinky sharks, pigs, frogs, squids, and grasshoppers under his bed. Um...okay...they're now in the garage and will be dissected next week.

If you have "real" :D chemicals, do you have a storage system for them? Certain chemicals shouldn't be stored with other chemicals so an organized storage system that keeps them separate is a must. We've had discussions on the HS Chem social group about how to store chemicals. If anyone is interested or feels that it's a topic they need to look into, feel free to join the social group. :)

Definitely. Chemicals are different and each needs to be stored accordingly. We actually have a wine fridge designated, and a separate ventilation area...but we are chemists:)

Definitely. Chemicals are different and each needs to be stored accordingly. We actually have a wine fridge designated, and a seperate ventilation area...but we are chemists:)

I'm the former chem teacher/chem nut responsible for the pinned chemistry thread over on the high school board so I get twitchy when I think about folks storing chemicals willy-nilly at home. :)

I'm the former chem teacher/chem nut responsible for the pinned chemistry thread over on the high school board so I get twitchy when I think about folks storing chemicals willy-nilly at home. :)

Ha! I don't blame you:)

I only have one little one, but we are a bit fanatical about fun science in the house...and we live within walking distance of a proper Uni lab where hubby gets to do the fun stuff all day.

My biggest fear is not so much people storing chemicals but rather disposing of them properly!

I haven't been over to the hs boards but now you have me curious:)