Menu

Working Momma...Back Pain... Office Chair...

lovinmomma

I work 12 hr shifts overnight. I have developed terrible back pain from a specific vertebrae in my upper back betwee my shoulder blades. During the week the pain typically hovers around a 2-4, but after my shifts (including the next day or so) the pain can be anywhere from a 6 to an 8. The place where the pain comes from protrudes. It's not a huge lump, but it's not the same as the rest of my spine.

I sit in a chair for 12 hours. There is very little getting up. I try to get up as often as possible, but some nights I am hardly able to get up at all due to work. I did get a foot stool to try to help with the pain, but that's not cutting it. I've also been trying to practice good posture as well as I take ibuprophren, tylenol, aspirin, heating pads, and use icy hot type of stuff to try to eliviate the pain. I've been trying to stretch my back often, too, but I would be interested in those that know particular stretches that have helped with their back pain. 

Nothing seems to be having a significant impact on the pain other than not working, but that's not an option obviously. The pain never fully goes away regardless of what I do. Anyone been there done that that can offer advice on what has helped them?

some days I can barely walk others that aren't so bad.  Regular stretching seems to help. I have a compressed disk in my neck that gets so bad sometimes I can't move my head.  I have found tucking my chin all the way to my chest helps. Other then that not really sure.  

I'm so sorry to hear that you're in pain! Back pain is no joking matter. It really makes a difference in my daily life. I tried the tucking my chin suggestion and it does seem to stretch that area pretty well. Thank you for that advice! :)

Long before my upper back pain started I've had neck issues that go into my right shoulder. I get a lot of numbness and tingling until I pop my neck and then the numbness/tingling go away until I have to pop it again (typically less than 10 mins). Did you have an injury or did normal every day life cause your neck problems?

Have you had it looked at for a possible herniated disc? If so, physiotherapy may be what you will need. Make sure your desk setup is ergonomically correct.

I haven't seen the doctor for this. I have a high deductible insurance plan and can't afford the office visit.

I know it isn't the same but since I am in a wheelchair I am almost ALWAYS sitting in the same position. Especially the last year I have developed, almost excruciating at times, pain in the same area you describe. Seriously, I take some pain meds and have a pain pump for other issue and it seems that back pain that develops after even an hour or two sitting rivals anything else.

I DID see a doctor and he did a work up...basically he (Ortho) said he gets this all the time now because we spend so much time sitting and looking down at things like computers, phones, etc.

I tried a bit of therapy, but the doc and therapist both suggested a chiropractor! I was HIGHLY skeptical because of my other med issues, but the doctor said regardless of the adjustments themselves, it happens to be the most inexpensive place to be massaged, iced, use TENS, and be stretched. And that for some things they can help more than most anything.

So I tried it. I wouldn't say it is a cure by any means, and I am not convinced by all of what the chiropractor says. But it feels incredible to have the deep massage, TENS, ice, etc...and it is pretty cheap.

If you can't get any reprieve you might give it a try.

Oh! He also suggested looking UP at the ceiling every few minutes, which does seem to help a bit.

I am sorry you are going through this OP. I completely commiserate. That dull, throbbing pain almost seems to take over all thought processes after a while:(

ETA: the Chiro can actually do an x-ray on site...and whilst I would not trust them probably to be the best person to make Ortho decisions, they WILL be able to tell you to see a doctor if anything major is there...and you can ask for copies.

I know it isn't the same but since I am in a wheelchair I am almost ALWAYS sitting in the same position. Especially the last year I have developed, almost excruciating at times, pain in the same area you describe. Seriously, I take some pain meds and have a pain pump for other issue and it seems that back pain that develops after even an hour or two sitting rivals anything else.

I DID see a doctor and he did a work up...basically he (Ortho) said he gets this all the time now because we spend so much time sitting and looking down at things like computers, phones, etc.

I tried a bit of therapy, but the doc and therapist both suggested a chiropractor! I was HIGHLY skeptical because of my other med issues, but the doctor said regardless of the adjustments themselves, it happens to be the most inexpensive place to be massaged, iced, use TENS, and be stretched. And that for some things they can help more than most anything.

So I tried it. I wouldn't say it is a cure by any means, and I am not convinced by all of what the chiropractor says. But it feels incredible to have the deep massage, TENS, ice, etc...and it is pretty cheap.

If you can't get any reprieve you might give it a try.

Oh! He also suggested looking UP at the ceiling every few minutes, which does seem to help a bit.

I am sorry you are going through this OP. I completely commiserate. That dull, throbbing pain almost seems to take over all thought processes after a while:(

ETA: the Chiro can actually do an x-ray on site...and whilst I would not trust them probably to be the best person to make Ortho decisions, they WILL be able to tell you to see a doctor if anything major is there...and you can ask for copies.

I think this is the route I may end up taking. Save up a little and then try to see a chiropractor. I'm sorry for all of the pain that you're in. You're right that back pain is horrible. The pain makes it so hard to concentrate on my job. It's awful and relentless. I'm going to try the looking up at the ceiling thing, too. I'm hoping if I work in as many suggestions as I can there will at least be some relief. Sigh.

Is there any chance you could create a standing work station for yourself? There are lots of inexpensive ways to do it. Sitting is now being recognized as being really detrimental to one's health, so perhaps you could convince your employer to allow it for the sake of your health. Here is a post from one of my favorite blogs about standing work stations: http://www.katysays.com/a-note-to-human-resources/

What has helped me with my back pain is a whole-body-alignment approach like what is presented in the blog above. It is a lot of information to take in, and really involves the whole body, not just the part that hurts. But it has helped me a lot.

[quote name="lovinmomma" post="5633533" timestamp="

I haven't seen the doctor for this. I have a high deductible insurance plan and can't afford the office visit.

If you are in the US and you honestly think it's from sitting at work, check to see if you qualify under workers comp.

If it does you may also qualify for an ergonomic survey where they can set up your desk, chair, and computer properly. I used to work in HR with workers comp and was always surprised at how seriously they considered this issue.

Is there any chance you could create a standing work station for yourself? There are lots of inexpensive ways to do it. Sitting is now being recognized as being really detrimental to one's health, so perhaps you could convince your employer to allow it for the sake of your health. Here is a post from one of my favorite blogs about standing work stations: http://www.katysays.com/a-note-to-human-resources/

What has helped me with my back pain is a whole-body-alignment approach like what is presented in the blog above. It is a lot of information to take in, and really involves the whole body, not just the part that hurts. But it has helped me a lot.

Great link! I read that link and I plan to look through the rest of the website, too. Thank you! I think a standing work station is possible. I'll have to read some more first before I ask HR about that. :)

If you are in the US and you honestly think it's from sitting at work, check to see if you qualify under workers comp.

If it does you may also qualify for an ergonomic survey where they can set up your desk, chair, and computer properly. I used to work in HR with workers comp and was always surprised at how seriously they considered this issue.

I will do that! I hadn't thought about checking on WC. Thank you.