Menu

Common Application-can you explain this??

pjssully

NEWBIE here-  This is my first child getting ready for college application process and I can truthfully say,  I AM OVERWHELMED!!  What is a Common Application?  I have heard this term but have little idea of it.  I could search the web and find out, but I figure there is so much more wisdom  here, on this board, than any where else.

Also, if anyone can give me some tips about how to do this whole college application, I would REALLY appreciate it.  Such as timing of it, when to do what step, etc.

My daughter will begin her Senior year in the fall and will take most classes at a community college.  She got a 32 on the ACt so I am hoping for some type of scholarship.  But don't know where to begin with that.  She wants to stay close to home-Madison Wisconsin-so we won't need to visit tons of schools.   She will be touring UWMadison next week.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!!

pj

While you're waiting for the great responses I know the parents with experience will give you, you might want to check out the pinned thread at the top of the high school board: "Transcripts… College Prep/Applications, Scholarships/Financial Aid… links to past threads here!". Post #5 contains a load of linked past threads on many helpful college topics.

post #1

getting started, planning/scheduling

transcripts: how-to, credits, grading, test scores, dual enrollment

grading / GPA

course descriptions

record keeping

diplomas

accreditation

post #5

college prep/planning

NCAA

choosing a college

college admissions / Common App

freshman orientation

first time at college

financial aid: discussions, FAFSA, EFC, loans

scholarships: the basics, weighing options, "inside" vs "outside" scholarships

alternatives to 4-year college

career exploration

As a starting point for a high ACT score and thinking about scholarships, post #5 in the thread "Preparing for college, what scholarships/grants to apply for?" gives an overview of scholarships and the search process.

Have fun wearing your administrator/high school counselor hat! :) Here's mine ----> :hat:  Warmest regards, Lori D.

Lori D. has already given you all the answers by listing her links.

Here a short answer to some of your questions:

The Common Application is an online system used by many universities where you submit the application info once to the Common App, and it is distributed to the chosen colleges from there. This sounds like a sensible system, but it has been plagued by software issues, and many colleges require college specific information in addition to the CA. But if a college requires that you use it, you must.

The CA for Fall 2015 applications opens on August 1st. If you get started, you can search the posts from last fall, where many of us battled with the new version of the CA and figured things out. It was really not as bad as I had anticipated.

You can probably already preview what things you will need. As homeschooling parent, you will have to fill out the school report, provide a transcript and a guidance counselor letter. You will have space to give details about your homeschool philosophy and the curriculum you used. Your DD must write an essay; the essay topics should be available already.

Timing: over the summer, she should narrow down the list of schools where she wants to apply and investigate the deadlines.

Common app opens August 1st. Main application season is the fall. Some schools have January deadlines, others have deadlines in November.

She should ask any potential recommenders now before the summer whether they would be willing to write her a letter of recommendation, so that they have plenty of notice.

Ideally, she should have all her standardized testing done; if not, only the early fall test dates will get scores back in time to be useful for the applications.

I'd be happy to answer more specific questions; this is such abroad topic that I am not sure what else to write.

I'll just add that I have 2 nephews and a niece who graduated without debt from UW-Madison.  It's a very good school.  Back in the dark ages, when I worked in the Chicago area as a programmer, I remember a co-worker who had graduated from UW-Madison.  He gave a very positive review of the school and how it collaborated with industry to best prepare the students.