Menu

May Movie Thread! Let's share or recommend movies we've seen.

unsinkable

One of my favorite movies is "The Red Violin".  It is rated R for a s?x/n*dity scene (that's all I remember at least). Just an uber cool story.  A couple of favorite foreign movies for me is "Raise the Red Lantern" (PG) but depressing (as it seems most Chinese movies are) and "Like Water for Chocolate" (R-probably for s?x scenes).

I am not a baseball fan per se but "The Perfect Game" was a great movie.

We recently watched We Were Soldiers from Netflix... I liked it, though it had some pretty graphic scenes violence-wise. I also watched Austenland, which was very dumb, but I thought the ending was cute.

Last movie I saw in the theatre was Divergent... I loved it.

We just saw Amazing Spiderman on Mother's Day. We were on vacation and dh and I pick one movie to go see, usually an action summer blockbuster. It was Spiderman or Captain America.

We should have seen Captain America. :)

Spiderman was just ok. Both of us really liked the first one and after this one both of us kind of just shrugged and said "eh". It's too long and too complicated. And there are some sloppy plot points that just didn't make sense. I don't mean nit-picky stuff about how the action happened, I'm fine suspending belief in an action /superhero movie. But these were more like characters acting in ways that didn't make sense or major plot points that weren't really explained in a satisfying way.

I stated above the we saw Captain America and loved it.  I have spiderman lower on my list and will probably watch it on video, but I don't really follow his comic books and would miss some of the story line. 

Your comments on Spiderman made me wonder (and appreciate my dh), how the background obsession of fans play into the movie watching experience.  I loved loved Captain America but since I am a comic book nerd I think I filled in a lot of story line dh did not notice. I was over in my seat gasping and sqealing and "oh noing'  :laugh:   And he would look at me with a funny look and I would gasp "no, Sitwell!" or whatever. ha ha

He had fun at the movie but I could not wait to skype with my nerd daughter about all the implied upcoming plot twists.  We had a long debate whether Marvel would skip "House of M" and go to "Disassembled" and what that would mean.   :lurk5: