Menu

Writing help

Guest lhallewell

Guest lhallewell

My son is coming towards the end of grade 9 and I'm just about pulling my hair out when it comes to getting him to write any kind of assignment or essay. He seems to think that one to three paragraphs is perfectly fine. Over the past few years for writing skills we have used Jump In (by Apologia) followed by Wordsmith.

I'm trying to work out what to use for grade 10, as we really need to nail his writing skills down now. My original plan was to use Wordsmith Craftsman, but I'm just not convinced he will follow it properly. This week I've been looking at The Elegant Essay by IEW, WriteShop and Jensen's Format Writing (although he hated Jensen's Grammar). Does anyone have any thoughts on any of these programs, or some other one?

I've just graded a pile of book reports from community college freshman.  I would have been happy to read one to three well written paragraphs!!!!! :)

And, my son that would not/could not write a couple of decent paragraphs for me, made an A in Freshman Comp in college!

Concentrate on basic writing. Good basic writing. Don't worry so much about length.

What about an online course? Maybe he needs to have his assumptions about what is fine challenged by someone other then his mother in order for him to understand?

This would completely depend upon the online course. My oldest son took English 12 through Connections Academy, when he was in 11th grade. I read the online discussions and responses. I would say that 35 out of 40 students were way below grade level for writing and several were nearly unintelligible. My son thought he was a genius when he began earning 110% on his assignments. :tongue_smilie:

The Potter's School has a good writing program. These are not just writing classes, but also grammar classes.  The feedback has been kind, gracious, and encouraging, yet always challenging.  ds has had Mrs. Chang and has really embraced the material covered in class because of her enthusiasm, the well prepared lectures, and class discussions (usually via chat box).