Menu

What is your favorite 'big picture' book about writing?

Hi! I am Jessica from KS, and this is (sort of) a x-post.

I will be starting WWS1 with my dd11, ds11, and dd10 in a few weeks. After scouring the posts about WWS for a while, I have realized that I need to educate myself on 'the big picture' when it comes to writing! I think I need something that will give me a quick overview of the goals, styles, and perspectives on writing and something deeper that may take a while to digest.

Jessica from KS

Hi! And welcome.

I'd recommend starting with the writing lectures by  Susan Wise Bauer (our fearless host and Hive Queen):  you can download them from the Peace Hill Press store by clicking on the turquoise ad at the bottom of the page.  She has them for the elementary, middle school, and high school years.  If I were you I'd listen to both the middle grades and the high school lectures, so you can see where you are and where you are going.

Hi! And welcome.

I'd recommend starting with the writing lectures by  Susan Wise Bauer (our fearless host and Hive Queen):  you can download them from the Peace Hill Press store by clicking on the turquoise ad at the bottom of the page.  She has them for the elementary, middle school, and high school years.  If I were you I'd listen to both the middle grades and the high school lectures, so you can see where you are and where you are going.

Thank you!  

I have gotten the middle school lecture and am working my way through it.  Great suggestion.

:)

Jessica from Kansas

Have you seen this post?(the first one, but you might want to read the thread too).  In it Ruth shares what she has read.  

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/348864-my-evaluation-of-numerous-writing-curricula/?hl=writing

And I just found this thread, but haven't read it.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/504322-writing-wo-a-curriculum-lets-create-a-master-thread/

I just downloaded A Plan for Teaching Writing: Focus on the Middle Grades and The Well-Prepared Student: How to Get Ready for the High School Years. Thanks for the suggestions!

Have you seen this post?(the first one, but you might want to read the thread too). In it Ruth shares what she has read.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/348864-my-evaluation-of-numerous-writing-curricula/?hl=writing

This is exactly what I needed! Thank you! :) I will respond to your suggestions about teaching three with WWS in an email when I get the chance. Thank again...so very helpful!

Hmmm... I am not sure why the quote didn't pop into a box. I am not very computer savvy...