Menu

Spanish Programs for Beginners

Hive,

I am looking for a fun Spanish program for my 8 year old to use.  A great website would be fantastic.  I have done my own web searches but I am not convinced I have found the best available.  Would love to hear what you all are using!

I'd hold off on Duolingo until you are at least 60 lessons into Getting Started With Spanish. It can be frustrating if you don't have a grammar base and you aren't the type of learner who does well with the way Duolingo works. 

But, we like both! GSWS is a great, inexpensive start. Book is cheap. Audio is free on the website. 

This doesn't exactly answer your question but it's all I have. It's from my blog.

Getting Started With Spanish by William E. Linney and Antonio L. Orta is a fantastic resource of 177 lessons of mostly grammar that take less than five minutes per day. It's mastery based, and I believe could be appropriate for children as young as kindergarten. The author provides free pronunciation resources at www.gettingstartedwithspanish.com.

Learn Spanish Vocabulary 101, by Innovative Language is free and comes with a free audio download from innovativelanguage.com

You can typically buy very inexpensive flash cards to develop vocabulary at your local educational store, and I personally am interested in The Complete Book of Starter Spanish and The Complete Book of Spanish for my young children.

Free Spanish Readers For Kindle:

An Elementary Spanish Reader, by Earl Stanley Harrison

Heath's Modern Language Series:  The Spanish American Reader, by Ernesto Nelson, and Spanish Short Stories

A First Spanish Reader, by Alfred Remy

My 8yo is starting with The Fun Spanish. The sentences are silly, which aids retention. We also have some Spanish storybooks on hand. You can probably find these cheap at used library sales and such.

She's already been playing with Duolingo. I think I struggle from the lack of grammar instruction more than she does. We printed the free chants for Spanish for Children and that helps both of us. (She is already familiar with conjugations and declensions due to Latin for Children.)