Menu

Stupid Saxon Question (Alg 2)

Hmm - Saxon Algebra 2 (3rd edition) was meant to follow Saxon Algebra 1 (3rd edition).  Is this your first foray into Saxon?

I have the teacher's resource PDF for this series which explains their approach. You should read this document. It would have to be tailored somewhat for home-schooling.  You can find it with Google or your favorite search engine.

Yes - a lesson a day is the Saxon way.

Hmm - Saxon Algebra 2 (3rd edition) was meant to follow Saxon Algebra 1 (3rd edition).  Is this your first foray into Saxon?

Yes, I'm concerned about that too, but had her flip through both books, and she said Alg1 was too easy, even at the end.  Alg2 starts with a couple of review lessons, so I'm hoping that plus the CDs will be enough to get her going. 

Is this meant for one lesson per day?  We've never used Saxon before, but dd liked the look of it and the sample of the Dive CD that she saw.  So now I need to know how to schedule it.

Thanks!

Which edition are you using? The Houghton-Mifflin version (see http://www.amazon.com/Saxon-Algebra-Student-Edition-2009/dp/1602773033/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1398444016&sr=8-3&keywords=saxon+algebra+2) is awful. Stick with the older version (see http://www.amazon.com/Algebra-An-Incremental-Development-Saxon/dp/1565771400/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398444016&sr=8-1&keywords=saxon+algebra+2) and, yes, try to do one lesson per day.

Art Reed, who produces some Saxon teaching DVDs, says that a student who wishes to start Saxon Algebra 2, and comes from another program, should start testing with Saxon Algebra I, test 5, with 50 minutes per test. If a student receives an 80 or better on test 5, have the student review any problems he or she missed and then move on to Test 10, repeating the process until either the student tests out of Algebra I, or until they receive two test scores in a row below 80. Wherever the student falls below an 80 on two consecutive tests, that is where they should start in Algebra I. If they score 80 or above consistently, using every 5th test, then they are good to go with Algebra II.