Menu

Which SOTW book should I use for

Okay call me crazy but get "what" from the library?!!! Thanks! I'm so confused about what to use for History and I only have a week to figure something out, I thought SOTW would be great. A friend just told me about the book but she has 6 year olds. She said it can go up to any grade because there is more than one book, or something like that!

Then you can make your decision. However, I agree with JFS that these books are far to simple for high school level history. You might search this board for "history" or Spielvogel- his book "Western Civilization" is recommended for high school in TWTM along with J. M. Roberts "History of the World." Some people use Spielvogel's other text- a world history text but the name escapes me at the moment. Your search should show you the direction that those on these boards are taking. Good luck!

If you are planning to cover the ancients for history this year, Susan Wise Bauer (the author of SOTW) has a new ancient history book for 9th grade through adult. It is called The History of the Ancient World. We are planning to use this in our great books class this year. I have not had time to read it all, but it looks wonderful.

Of course they're right... SOTW *is* too easy for a high schooler. But at the same time, if anyone (students or adults!) actually understood all the people, events and timelines as SOTW presents them, they'd be doing really well.

I teach a co-op class in which I have two ninth graders as my oldest students. They would balk at the heavy booklists used by many on this board, and I am comfortable letting them use SOTW along with the younger students as "introductory" reading. SOTW is engaging, presents the most important facts, and does a good job making the historical figures seem like real people rather than lifeless characters on a feltboard. I then have these older students do more in-depth reading and research on various people and topics.

I used Spielvogel last year in my high school co-op class, and while it is definitely better in many ways than your average textbook, it is still a textbook. I wouldn't want to use it without some other material that helps the students understand the people, not just the facts. My idealhigh school textbook would be SWB's narrative from "History of the Ancient World" along with Spielvogel's maps, photos, timelines and sidebar information. *wishing.....*

If you are planning to cover the ancients for history this year, Susan Wise Bauer (the author of SOTW) has a new ancient history book for 9th grade through adult. It is called The History of the Ancient World. We are planning to use this in our great books class this year. I have not had time to read it all, but it looks wonderful.

:iagree: