Menu

Landry-Pre-physics class? anyone has experience

Hi,

Has anyone had any experience with the "pre" science classes at landry academy?  I am thinking of having my 12 (but will be just 13 when he takes the class) take the pre-physics class in the spring from there.  Just looking for some reviews.  My oldest daughter is currently taking the sports fitness/althetic training class and is less than thrilled with it.  I am thinking it could be the instructor and not the course itself, but in any case, I am a bit leery, yet it sounds like a good fit for my son.

ANY info. would be helpful!!

Thanks

pj

I can't answer about the pre science classes, but since noone else has responded yet, I will share with you what experience we have had.  DD took two classes with Landry.  One was led by an excellent instructor (art), she learned a lot, the teacher maintained good control of the classroom (there was one disruptive student but it was dealt with effectively for all parties involved), and we were both very happy.  She loved the class and the instructor and still uses techniques she learned in that class.  The interface was easy to navigate and communication was excellent between teacher and students.

The other class was American History.  The teacher was very nice, the material was usually pretty interesting, she had them do many projects, sent personal letters by mail upon occassion, etc.  I did not feel that the second class was quite as well done as the first, since sometimes the class instruction was interrupted by the teacher's young children, but honestly it wasn't bad at all, the teacher was really putting in a great deal of effort and I even learned some things I had not known at all.  Again, communication between teacher and student was quite good and she encouraged group interaction among the students in between classes through the Landry site.  This encouraged discussion of the topics, the submitted projects, etc.

DS was going to take an elementary level science class with them but our schedule changed and personal circumstances prevented him from doing so.  At the same time I remember doing research on the textbook they would be using and it had gotten absolutely abysmal reviews.  I don't remember what it was.  That was two years ago.  

I have heard from other parents using Landry that the quality of the class really is heavily dependent on the quality of the teacher and that varies from class to class, subject to subject.  I also know that in future I will do research on the materials being used before I sign up my kids for a class.  I don't know of a comprehensive list of teachers where parents have rated their performance but I wish there were one...

HTH a little...sorry I couldn't be more specific about your particular subject of inquiry.