Menu

Please critique my tenth grade plans, or share yours.

My ds was homeschooled for 7th and 8th grade, in school for 9th, now wants to remain homeschooled through high school. He is very interested in science, math, and languages. No definite career plans but I can imagine him an academic-he's interested in things like linguistics and theoretical math. He's also a swimmer.

Math-I will attempt with Lial's precalc. We will use Lial's Intermediate Alg as needed, and Schaum's Outlines for Trig, Alg 2 and Pre-cal as we need them

Science-high school level chemistry in one semester at CC. Spring???

English-Literary Lessons from LOTR, VCR and online Classical Writing course

Spanish-online tutoring program, self-paced

Chinese-through a local "chinese school"

American History-TC course, variety of resources including A People's History (Zinn) and A History of the American People (Johnson). Will attempt AP if we both feel he's prepared.

Linguistics-he's designing his own course

Rhetoric-I will attempt using the New Oxford Guide to Writing, A Rulebook for Arguments, and Thank you for Arguing

He also plays the violin. Visual art???

Is this remotely doable? He is fired up to take on everything but I don't want either of us to be overwhelmed or discouraged. Have I missed anything? Thanks!

Looks good to me, but with an 8th grader, I am NOT an authority.

Really, I wanted to tell you about my experience with our community college's high-school level chemistry. I had thought it was going to be a thorough introduction to all aspects of chemistry, but it is NOT. Rather, it is a very basic intro to general chemistry. After looking through the book, I have realized that we will need to continue chemistry through the spring semester with a different book that covers fundamentals of organic and biological chemistry, as well, just to be certain that she covers everything that would typically be covered in a high school chemistry course.

Yes, I have considered not letting her take this class, but I figured it would be a good intro to general chemistry, boost her confidence with college classes and she would really enjoy the lab.

Of course, not all community colleges are the same, and yours may offer a more traditional and complete intro, but I just wanted to share! (Plus its 5 AM and I have been up and lonely for two hours)

It may be a little much, at least that would have overwhelmed my son. We didn't do Literary Lessons, but I thought it was one credit English on its own. If he does get overwhelmed you could cut back some of the other English. The Rhetoric course will also include lots of writing.

Can you share what he is doing for designing his own lignuistic study? That sounds interesting.

I'm also interested as to whether it seems reasonable...

Geometry using Videotext (had Alg 2 last year)

Advanced Biology through The Potter's School

Exploring American History by Notgrass

Literature from Notgrass with 3-4 lit. guides, 2nd half of Rod & Staff 8 for grammar, Vocabulary for Achievement, and writing with Home2Teach for parts of the year (This is the one I'm afraid is excessive. He needs extra work since English is a weak point, but at the same time, he's also works pretty slowly at it.)

Spanish 2 - continuing with Rosetta Stone and adding grammar with Espanol Esencial

half credit of robotics using a Parallax kit

half credit of PE via karate classes